The Tipping Point Is Upon Us?

Tipping Point Reached?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Tipping Point Reached?

Of cause they do, they cost us the benefits that are being paid to the unemployed British worker that should be doing the job.

Presuming that a) there is a British worker in a position to do that job and b) they actually want to do that job for that money.

There are thousands of migrant workers in the Fens every year picking flowers - how many of the local unemployed do you think would happily give up their benefits to go and stand in a muddy field in the rain picking flowers all day? And you want us to blame the immigrants for our underworked lazy scroungers?

You aren't suggesting that Russia, a country so corrupt it's being called Nigeria with snow, with its questionable human rights record and judicial system is a better bet than the UK? If you are, please, go there. I'll start a whip round for a ticket.

They have been right about Syria.. they were against the war in Iraq? Did you support the war or are you siding with the Russians on this..?

The report also says there is little evidence of benefit tourism.If they have worked and have contributed to the system then there is nothing wrong at all with that.Presumably,they don't want to have to go to the NHS for anything,or are they just deliberately running into brick walls so that they can claim something?

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 17:09 ----------

I don't think you understand.........'nationals' are 'nationals'..........it means British.

£1.5 billion would be an awful lot of brick walls, suppose they could employ a Polish bricklayer to rebuild them and cut the unemployment bill at the same time.

£1.5 billion would be an awful lot of brick walls, suppose they could employ a Polish bricklayer to rebuild them and cut the unemployment bill at the same time.

It doesn't work like that does it,running into brickwalls means you get rebuilt,not the brickwall,check with Adrian Chiles though,he will know for sure.

Presuming that a) there is a British worker in a position to do that job and b) they actually want to do that job for that money.

There are thousands of migrant workers in the Fens every year picking flowers - how many of the local unemployed do you think would happily give up their benefits to go and stand in a muddy field in the rain picking flowers all day? And you want us to blame the immigrants for our underworked lazy scroungers?

At up to four times their national wage I would presume a great many.

We've been down this road many times in this country... I'll explain again, because I don't think I've personally explained to you.

Someone from eastern Europe will earn, back home, doing a low skilled job, about 10% of what they can earn here.

So if they stay here for 5 years they can amass a small fortune to take back home.

So there are widely different incentives to actually do the jobs.. Those already here can achieve a standard of living not much better, even worse in some cases, than claiming benefit. So there is no incentive.

I provided a link earlier from the Guardian which stated that 50% of young black males are unemployed. Do you think some of these lazy reprobates should do the jobs? Do you include these in your criticisms of people on benefit as a whole?

We've been down this road many times in this country... I'll explain again, because I don't think I've personally explained to you.

Someone from eastern Europe will earn, back home, doing a low skilled job, about 10% of what they can earn here.

So if they stay here for 5 years they can amass a small fortune to take back home.

So there are widely different incentives to actually do the jobs.. Those already here can achieve a standard of living not much better, even worse in some cases, than claiming benefit. So there is no incentive.

I provided a link earlier from the Guardian which stated that 50% of young black males are unemployed. Do you think some of these lazy reprobates should do the jobs? Do you include these in your criticisms of people on benefit as a whole?

So why are immigrants in the OP as a tipping point when they are working and doing the jobs of British who have 'no incentive'?

Interestingly, immigrants are less likely to claim benefits than British citizens.

http://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/the-framing-of-immigration/

Also interesting news from the Institute of Fiscal Studies http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctpb21/Cpapers/DustmannFrattiniHalls2010.pdf who conclude that their study of Eastern European migrants showed that -

‘A8 immigrants who arrived after EU enlargement in 2004… are 60% less likely than natives to receive state benefits or tax credits, and 58% less likely to live in social housing’. The study also discovered that ‘in each fiscal year since enlargement in 2004, A8 immigrants made a positive contribution to public finance despite the fact that the UK has been running a budget deficit over the last years’. This was because ‘they have a higher labour force participation rate, pay proportionately more in indirect taxes, and make much lower use of benefits and public services’. They paid around 30 per cent more in taxes than they cost our public services.

The A8 countries - to save you the trouble of looking it up are

Czech Republic

Estonia

Hungary

Latvia

Lithuania

Poland

Slovakia

Slovenia

I think your views owe more to prejudice and xenophobia than they do to reality.

Number of foreign nationals on benefits soars to 400,000:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10271855/Number-of-foreign-nationals-on-benefits-soars-to-400000.html

I can believe migrants are less likely to claim benefits, that's to be expected, since they are fit to travel and work. I wouldn't migrate and expect to claim anything anywhere.

But as you can see from the article, in absolute numbers, migrants claiming UK benefits does cost the country millions of pounds.

Archived