U-Turn, Elderly must sell House to pay for Care Home

I think the tories are getting things in order now because of the amount of people retiring over the next decade.

In Scotland alone there will be around a million people over 65 come 2021.

That's roughly 1 in 5 of the population.

So that's why Cameron doesn't care if the Scots gain their independence. ;)

I think the tories are getting things in order now because of the amount of people retiring over the next decade.

In Scotland alone there will be around a million people over 65 come 2021.

That's roughly 1 in 5 of the population.

When modern technology was brought in we were told that we'd have more leisure time (shorter working week), longer holidays, earlier retirement, wonder what happened to those promises, bit like the promise of 'cradle to grave care'.

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 17:51 ----------

Then we'll have masses of illegal immigrants flooding into the country from Scotland.:hihi:

When modern technology was brought in we were told that we'd have more leisure time (shorter working week), longer holidays, earlier retirement, wonder what happened to those promises, bit like the promise of 'cradle to grave care'.

Yes, but a shorter working week means less money coming in to pay for all these longer holidays & leisure activities. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, but a shorter working week means less money coming in to pay for all these longer holidays & leisure activities. You can't have it both ways.

Sorry but the shorter working week promised was due to modern technology making processes etc more efficient and economical but of course we all know who really benefitted don't we (fat Cats come to mind).

Haha! Probably..

And just for good measure he lets power companies put up their prices to mop up any pensioners still breathing..

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 18:02 ----------

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 17:51 ----------

Then we'll have masses of illegal immigrants flooding into the country from Scotland.:hihi:

Never believe a word those parasites tell ya peer gynt...

Haha! Probably..

And just for good measure he lets power companies put up their prices to mop up any pensioners still breathing..

The power companies are wacking up their prices now so that when Shale Fracking comes in they will reduce prices by 2% and all those who were happy that the fat cats one again like they did in the North Sea Bonanza made a killing have given them something.

@Peer Gynt - this conversation is straying a little. However, as someone who was born just as the welfare state was coming into being, I can say that this country bears little resemblance to what it was when I grew up, particularly in the area of health.

For instance:

If you had renal failure, you died. These days people are dialysed and stay on that until they die (sometimes many years) or until they are transplanted. It is very, very costly.

Cancer - palliative care and that was all. Now folk are living with cancer, not necessarily dying of it.

Heart disease - if someone had a coronary thrombosis there was no surgery available - there was recovery (or not), and medication.

I could go on but don't want to bore you.

There was no crystal ball - nobody could envisage these technological and medical advances that would be so costly and keep people alive much longer. You see things in black and white - 'they' promised and you have paid your dues and that's it. The truth of the matter is that it isn't - this country has changed almost beyond recognition and we have to accept that what was then is not now.

have already read it the fact of the matter is that the house now belongs to my offspring AND ALL MONEY IS IN TRUST FOR THEM THEY CAN`T TOUCH IT I HAVE HAD A SOLICITOR LOCK IT UP SO TIGHT IT SQUEAKS AND THAT WAS 2 YEARS AGO

Beware.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2466361/Councils-spy-parents-sign-house-children-Blitz-families-avoid-care-home-fees.html

"If a parent does it shortly before going into care – despite being in good health – they are more likely to be investigated. Anyone who passes over the deeds but then has to go into care within six months, will almost certainly be liable for care home bills.

BUT if the switch is made two OR MORE years before the parent goes in to care, council officials are less likely to pry. HOWEVER, if they have reason to believe it was done deliberately, there is no limit to how long they can go back.

THE LAWS THAT GIVE COUNCILS POWER TO CLAW BACK THE CASH

If a council unearths evidence that a property has been deliberately shielded from a care home means test, it can call on considerable legal firepower.

First, if it happened within six months of asking the council for funding, it can rely on the Health and Social Services and Social Security Adjudications Act 1983.

In this case, the local authority can recover any sums it has to pay towards the resident’s care costs from the person the home was transferred to.

If they find the property transfer took place more than six months before asking for care, a separate piece of law called the Assessment of Resources Regulations allows the council to refuse to fund the resident in the care home – often sparking a legal challenge.

Officials may also decide to pay on the resident’s behalf, and treat it as a debt to be repaid later.

In such a case, a local authority can ultimately use the Insolvency Act 1986 to get the money. In this case, a court may then order an earlier transfer of a home into trust to be set aside, or order the deeds to be returned to parents from children.

Families who find themselves caught up the process and want to challenge it face a costly legal battle – and could end up in court.

The council can’t force the sale of the house, but it can demand the money be paid from somewhere, leaving those who have moved into the house either having to foot the bill out of their own savings or apply for a deferment – but then having to sell the house when their relative dies.

Alternatively, they may have to sell up immediately and use the cash for the care bill".

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 18:20 ----------

Sorry but the shorter working week promised was due to modern technology making processes etc more efficient and economical

That is not in dispute. An example are the automatic checkouts in the supermarkets. I bet those staff weren't happy when they were made redundant due to modern technology. They need money to live now, they don't have money for leisure activities.

]

That is not in dispute. An example are the automatic checkouts in the supermarkets. I bet those staff weren't happy when they were made redundant due to modern technology. They need money to live now, they don't have money for leisure activities.

As I said, we were told that modern technology was supposed to benefit all, instead it has just benefited the fat cats.

From that article and from others on the Internet, particularly this one it does rather seem as if the bubble might be about to burst on property trusts. I recall being somewhat surprised when the solicitor immediately told me that it could not be guaranteed - if a legal person says that you know they are covering their back and that it is potentially problematic.

From the aforementioned link:

....products that purport to avoid fees could end up being the next mis-selling scandal, because when they are sold in isolation they often do not meet the family's overall needs.

Archived