U-Turn, Elderly must sell House to pay for Care Home

I suspect that the average age of retirement did fall for quite some time. But that trend has now reversed.

Leisure time is still higher than it's ever been though.

it's worth noting that retirement age as a % of lifespan is higher. The key factor their being the massively increased life expectancy in the last 60 years.

I suspect that the average age of retirement did fall for quite some time. But that trend has now reversed.

The retiring has not fallen by one second since the welfare state was formed which I find a sad reflection of our society.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 15:41 ----------

it's worth noting that retirement age as a % of lifespan is higher. The key factor their being the massively increased life expectancy in the last 60 years.

But we have technology now that didn't exist 60 years ago, things should be better not worse.

You'd be quite right.

In the early to mid '90's loads of people in their '50's were encouraged to retire early - and had their pensions topped up if they'd over 35 years service.

Little chance of that happening again.

Archived