U-Turn, Elderly must sell House to pay for Care Home

It'll never work.

Anyone with half a brain left will sign their house over to son/daughter and give them their savings.

Effectively living in a rented house, with no money and only their pension to survive.

I don't think that will work. The bean counters are already aware of this kind of activity and can ( if proven) go to court and get hold of the assets.

It'll never work.

Anyone with half a brain left will sign their house over to son/daughter and give them their savings.

Effectively living in a rented house, with no money and only their pension to survive.[/QUOTE]

Anyone with more than a brain cell will be more measured.Hardly effective when your offspring invest the money in junk bonds,the property bubble etc.

The article says "COMMENT" though, is this opinion rather than news?

I found this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2461823/SIMON-HEFFER-This-elderly-care-plan-punish-prudent-favour-feckless.html

But reading further in it says:

However, this may not now be so.

I've highlighted the "may".

I don't think that will work. The bean counters are already aware of this kind of activity and can ( if proven) go to court and get hold of the assets.

This is correct. The Tax man is well aware of these illegal criminal activities of people trying to sign over their assets due to the various property booms over the years, due to sons & daughters fearing they won't get their parents inheritance.

It is all a smoke screen anyhow. I intend to sell my house when I get to 70 and rent a place. I'll pass my cash on to my kids who hopefully will pay my bills as and when that might be required.
I note you stated hopefully

Sounds like you may be a little doubtful?

It'll never work.

Effectively living in a rented house, with no money and only their pension to survive.

Er, no. Such a Transfer can be easily reversed.

Cf similar attempts to defraud creditors: s.339 et seq of the Insolvency Act 1986.

Er, no. Such a Transfer can be easily reversed.

Cf similar attempts to defraud creditors: s.339 et seq of the Insolvency Act 1986.

Interesting... would this also apply in other such cases like that BBC paedo Stuart Hall, who transferred his house to his wife before he was sentenced?

Interesting... would this also apply in other such cases like that BBC paedo Stuart Hall, who transferred his house to his wife before he was sentenced?

That depends on:

a. whether anyone lost out on its value as a result; and

b. the timescale, as any recovery action needs to be within the applicable time period.

Archived