U-Turn, Elderly must sell House to pay for Care Home

Anna B - whatever is in that literature there is no way that they can force a family member to pay the bill. What they can do is move the person to a home that has fees at the level set by the local authority. As you say, few people have those kind of resources.

@Willman:

You're paying for a service, a provision of B&B at the very least. Why should it be free?

This is a valid point and maybe we should pay something but not the full amount. Remember that people only enter care because they are ill.

So is sending your kids to school.

Perhaps we need to charge folks for being in prison.

The Government must provide education, they don't have to look after you as a person.

If you are sent to prison innocently you ARE charged for b&b.

But it doesn't exclude it from marital breakups or debts if you do it with someone else or other family members.

The simplest way is to become tenants in common with your partner. Then bequeath your halves separately in a will.If you inherit from your partner upon death it becomes 100% yours and therefore liable to the normal rules.

You are right that it is not the best solution for all... which is why I said it might be the solution. :)

Your solution will certainly be better in some circumstance but it is all about the circumstances. Are both parents alive? Is there a mortgage on the property? How financially secure are the kids? How much do you trust the kids? Are you sleeping with neighbour and divorce awaits your first slip up? Etc, etc.

At least people reading the thread now have a couple of options to consider. :thumbsup:

You don't need to sign over your house to your family. You just need to add then to the deeds and have it recorded as a joint tenants ownership.

But hold on a second, in theory this may appear a good idea, however, if this is done with the aim of deliberately doing this to avoid caring home costs, it will be classed as fraud, so it is all a matter of timing. In other words don't do this ten years before-hand because the local authorities will discover this when means testing you for a caring home. You would probably have to do this the moment you buy your property or when your first child is born, (although children can't own/inherit property until they reach eighteen).

You are right that it is not the best solution for all... which is why I said it might be the solution. :)

Your solution will certainly be better in some circumstance but it is all about the circumstances. Are both parents alive? Is there a mortgage on the property? How financially secure are the kids? How much do you trust the kids? Are you sleeping with neighbour and divorce awaits your first slip up? Etc, etc.

At least people reading the thread now have a couple of options to consider. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get too excited Zamo.

The government could easily close any loopholes (well the tories anyway)

My bold - Why is it?

You're paying for a service, a provision of B&B at the very least. Why should it be free?

You've ignored the main point, which is that family may have to pay for care. How can they afford it?

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 12:11 ----------

Anna B - whatever is in that literature there is no way that they can force a family member to pay the bill. What they can do is move the person to a home that has fees at the level set by the local authority. As you say, few people have those kind of resources.

@Willman:

This is a valid point and maybe we should pay something but not the full amount. Remember that people only enter care because they are ill.

Does anyone know of a home that only charges £400 per week? I don't.

And from what you hear, the care is minimal in many cases.

Considering the staff will be on minimum wage, I can't see why it should cost so much.

But hold on a second, in theory this may appear a good idea, however, if this is done with the aim of deliberately doing this to avoid caring home costs, it will be classed as fraud, so it is all a matter of timing. In other words don't do this ten years before-hand because the local authorities will discover this when means testing you for a caring home. You would probably have to do this the moment you buy your property or when your first child is born, (although children can't own/inherit property until they reach eighteen).

At worst it would be considered 'deprevation of assets' and they'd use a notional amount for means testing purposes - it would not be classed as an act of fraud.

The timing is important. If you did this when it was obvious you needed to go into a home, or were already in one, then they might have a case. But anything before that any they are on a hiding to nothing. All you are doing is taking perfectly legal action to minimise a future tax liability (whether you need to go into a home or not). It is legal and there is nothing they can do about it.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 12:31 ----------

I wouldn't get too excited Zamo.

The government could easily close any loopholes (well the tories anyway)

It isn't really a loophole. It is property law and I don't think they will change it. Even if they did I can't see it being applied retrospectively... they don't even do that for the tax avoidance schemes.

It's very doom and gloom this thread. Many people live out their entire lives quite happily at home without the need for care. Personally, it would be a cold day in hell before I let my parents go into a care facility. Should that issue ever arise, they can come and live with me, I'll look after them myself. NOTHING would be too much trouble. Just stick all your family residential property in a Ltd company. Lovely stuff.

Archived