U-Turn, Elderly must sell House to pay for Care Home

Isn't the real point that care home charges are yet another rip off?

£600 a week?

£2,400 a month? For one little old lady?

How can this be justified? Especially as care is not always good, food is minimal and staff are often paid minimum wage. If nursing care is required then shouldn't it be paid for by the NHS, into which these people have paid for a lifetime.

Until the Government privatises this part of the NHS. Think of all those terminally ill taking up beds at the moment. 80% of their pension is taken away for this care. That cost will increase when it is privatised.

If you give up a job to care for an elderly relative, you lose all your wages and you get about £55 a week carers allowance (and then an equivelent amount is stopped from the person being cared for's benefit.)

How does that compare with the £600 a week average cost of a care home?

So what would happen if you got so ill that you were unable to look after your parents ?

This is what I mean, all doom and gloom. So not only do my parents need to go into a care home but now I fall ill at a young age so can't look after them.:hihi:

I genuinely don't know one elderly relative of any of my friends who has ever had to go into a care home or fears it will happen.

This is what I mean, all doom and gloom. So not only do my parents need to go into a care home but now I fall ill at a young age so can't look after them.:hihi:

I genuinely don't know one elderly relative of any of my friends who has ever had to go into a care home or fears it will happen.

Francypants has made a valid point FB. It is a well known fact that because of obesity, this is the first generation that is unlikely to out-live their parents.

Francypants has made a valid point FB. It is a well known fact that because of obesity, this is the first generation that is unlikely to out-live their parents.

Yes, it's a valid point if you choose to be obese.

That's easier said than done FB.

it broke my GFs heart when she realised it was time to find a care home for her mum. Her mum had lived with her for a couple of years,and even though she had care-staff visiting twice a day (while my GF was at work) her mum was still alone and vulnerable for a big part of the day.

When dementia really takes it's grip,that's when the hard work really starts.

Getting up in the middle of the night because mum has fallen out of bed and is screaming.

Leaving the house half-clothed anytime of the day.

Personal care (lots of it)

Turning on the gas cooker and forgetting.

Anyone who thinks they can put up with this, and refuses to seek professional residential care,just so they can hang on to their inheritance doesn't(in my book) have their parents best interests at heart.

Excellent point.

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 16:24 ----------

I never got a penny from a dead relative and I did alright - which is why, if I eventually have kids, I'll be spending all my money before I die.

Also, if they really loved you, they would want you to do that and enjoy your last days rather than leaving it to them to blow on like a new car or something.

Another top post. My mum gets all worried about not leaving any money and nursing home swallowing it all up. Swallow it all up - spend the lot. I'd rather it was spent on somewhere nice (well, not awful like some homes sadly are). What sort of person am I if I get upset if my mother has to sell a house she can no longer live in to make her last years more comfortable ?

It's very doom and gloom this thread. Many people live out their entire lives quite happily at home without the need for care. Personally, it would be a cold day in hell before I let my parents go into a care facility. Should that issue ever arise, they can come and live with me, I'll look after them myself. NOTHING would be too much trouble. Just stick all your family residential property in a Ltd company. Lovely stuff.

Hat's off to you FACEBOOK if you're able to accommodate your parents and their progressive health needs.

Sadly for many it isn't so easy-portability of labour, increased access to higher education,and increased mortality rates make it increasingly difficult for children to care for their parents in old age compared to say 30/40+ years ago.

Many children move away from their home towns for work/education and have left it longer to have their own children, which in many cases means they're still responsible for their own children when their parents are elderly-the spare room which would have been vacated by Johnny making room for Granny, still has Johnny in it!

Historically mortality rates were much lower, if you reached retirement you dropped dead soon after, now the elderly are being kept alive for many years with illnesses which previously would have killed them, so their care plan is beyond the scope of most home carers.

Hat's off to you FACEBOOK if you're able to accommodate your parents and their progressive health needs.

Sadly for many it isn't so easy-portability of labour, increased access to higher education,and increased mortality rates make it increasingly difficult for children to care for their parents in old age compared to say 30/40+ years ago.

Many children move away from their home towns for work/education and have left it longer to have their own children, which in many cases means they're still responsible for their own children when their parents are elderly-the spare room which would have been vacated by Johnny making room for Granny, still has Johnny in it!

Historically mortality rates were much lower, if you reached retirement you dropped dead soon after, now the elderly are being kept alive for many years with illnesses which previously would have killed them, so their care plan is beyond the scope of most home carers.

Good post, boyfriday, I think most people will agree that if it's possible to look after one's parents or grandparents at home then that's what should happen, but if it is not possible to care for someone at home then then they have medical needs and their care should be paid for by the NHS.

If it is simple care in terms of food, and watching over, then why does it cost so much? Nobody seems to question the costs, which are prohibitive. I'd like to see a breakdown of the weekly expenses in looking after an elderly person in a care home, but you never get it.

care homes may be profit making organisations, but they're really taking the p***

Good post, boyfriday, I think most people will agree that if it's possible to look after one's parents or grandparents at home then that's what should happen, but if it is not possible to care for someone at home then then they have medical needs and their care should be paid for by the NHS.

If it is simple care in terms of food, and watching over, then why does it cost so much? Nobody seems to question the costs, which are prohibitive. I'd like to see a breakdown of the weekly expenses in looking after an elderly person in a care home, but you never get it.

care homes may be profit making organisations, but they're really taking the p***

I doubt that's the case or the council would open a whole load as a revenue stream - council homes are NOT cheaper than all private ones. I suppose the difference will lie in the same ways a travelodge is cheaper than a Hilton. Quality of food, number of staff, level of staff training and location.

Archived