Lingards in Sheffield

HI everyone,

I am looking at doing a family tree. My grandfather Tommy Lingard (born 1924) migrated to Australia in the 1940's and we (his descendants ) have had no further contact with anyone in the UK.

I am looking for any descendants of George and Fanny Lingard nee Hogg (his parents) to see if they have any further information. I believe he had several siblings but do not know their names.

Thanks for any help,

Jared

Hi Jared - welcome to the Forum!.:)

To get you started, the births index shows the following likely children of George & Fanny (who married in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1920):

.John, born Apr-Jun 1921

.Herbert, born Oct-Dec 1922

.Tommy, born Jan-Mar 1924

.Charles, born (12 June?) 1925

.Joseph, born Jul-Sep 1927

.Betty, born Jul-Sep 1929

Betty may have married John T. Lee in 1953. A likely marriage for Charles is to Harriet Butler in 1948, and for Herbert to Betty E. Stonehouse in the same year.

Good luck!

Hi Hillsbro

Where did you find this information? Is it available online?...

The birth, marriage and death indexes have been indexed and are available online, a free site being http://www.freebmd.org.uk/. Some pay-to-vew sites such as http://www.ancestry.co.uk and http://www.findmypast.co.uk have more data available - military & immigration records, scanned newspapers etc.

Ok.... Just had a look at my records....

Both Maria's brothers (Henry and Frederick) had sons called George.....

Henry's son George was born in 1870, so perhaps a little old to be the father of Tommy!!!!! But Henry also had a son called Herbert, which is also the name of one of Tommy's brothers - names do tend to run in families!!!

Frederick's son, George, was born in 1895. He would be of the right age to be married in 1920.... Frederick also had a son called John....!!

I said those names sounded familiar!!

If you could get a copy of George and Fanny's marriage certificate, this would give you the name of your George's father, which would help in tracing your Sheffield ancestry further....

Hope this helps!!!! :) :)

Thank you both very much for your help.

According to Tommy's birth cert, George was a scissor Smith and Tommy was born at 83 Garden Street.

Is anyone aware of trade directories for this period or land information to find out the status of the land at the time? These are just interesting side information but not critical.

In the meantime I will order George and Fanny marriage cert.

Thanks again.

Hi Hillsbro

Where did you find this information? Is it available online? I am Australian and not familiar with the BDM system in the UK.

Sorry - I was wrong, on his birth certificate, he was actually born December 1923 but was not registered until July '24.

He was registered in the March Quarter of 1924 which would be correct if he was born at the end of 1923. Parents had 42 days to register a birth.

Births Mar 1924

Lingard Tommy ( Hogg ) Sheffield

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com have some directories on their site.

This looks like the burial of George note the address of 83 Garden St. from the indexers site

LINGARD, George (Scissor Grinder, age 49).

Died at 83 Garden St; Buried on January 9, 1931 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 16008, Section EE1 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Also in the same grave

LINGARD, John (Scissor Filer, age 75).

Died at 12 Herries Rd; Buried on February 19, 1930 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 16008, Section EE1 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

The address 12 Herries Road was the Fir Vale hospital

Edited by Tuppie

Herbert Lingard born 17th December 1922 is my father, but his father, my grandfather was call Thomas

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 16:18 ----------

Just to add, my mother was Betty Eileen Lingard (nee Stonehouse) She died in Canada in 2002, my Dad aged 91 is still alive and lives with my brother Mark Lingard in Ontario Canada

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 16:20 ----------

Further addition, my Dad was a scissor assembler (puratogether), and I believe his Dad Thomas was also in the same trade.