Lingards in Sheffield

Hi,

I can't find your William in my tree. I am decended from a William who was born in Litton Dale 1771. His last child that I am aware of is Thomas who was born 3rd Nov 1818 so that seems a bit close for your William to be his brother. I have seen your William on the census returns from 1841 to 1881 and his buriel on the Sheffield Indexers site but I can't see a connection. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards

Thank you for looking - it was worth a try!!!!! :)

• 1 year later...
Uh Oh. Well until I can afford to visit the uk, I guess I'll have to declare my innings! Thanks everyone for all your help!

Hi Jared.

My grandad was John (jack) Lingard (born 1921), our part of the family live in Woodhouse, Sheffield. My dad, John's son is Donald Lingard.

My grandad married Florence Murphy and they had 5 children: John, Marilyn, Linda, Vivian and Donald.

I hope this helps...

Cassie Lingard :-)

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 20:42 ----------

Also, my dad confirmed that he has an uncle Tommy who moved to Nowra, Australia...

Cassie

We have got a family tree with Lingards in it back to 1575 - originally living in Bradfield. They were Cutlers making scissors and knives. Robert Lingard was one of the first Cutlers at Sheffield Cutlers.

That's interesting, my Dad was in the cutlery trade, scissors actually, he worked for Joseph Rogers many years ago, then later Harrison Fisher. His father Thomas was in the same trade as was his father before him I believe.