Lingards in Sheffield

My grandfather did some research into the family name once, not the family tree. He told me that the name had origins in Scandinavia and the Netherlands. He also told me that there were links to the Slave trade. My Grandmother told me that as a girl she was told about a Lingard, an uncle I think who lived in and around London. He inherited a Handsome cab company and quite a lot of land in and around the London area. Unfortunately he was an alcoholic and gambler and either sold or gambled it all away. She also told me that her mother once let Charles Peace hide away from the Police in their attic. Finally my auntie once told me that we are distantly related to Florence Nightingale.

This thread got me thinking and bought all the above to mind again.

My grandfather did some research into the family name once, not the family tree. He told me that the name had origins in Scandinavia and the Netherlands. He also told me that there were links to the Slave trade. My Grandmother told me that as a girl she was told about a Lingard, an uncle I think who lived in and around London. He inherited a Handsome cab company and quite a lot of land in and around the London area. Unfortunately he was an alcoholic and gambler and either sold or gambled it all away. She also told me that her mother once let Charles Peace hide away from the Police in their attic. Finally my auntie once told me that we are distantly related to Florence Nightingale.

This thread got me thinking and bought all the above to mind again.

Been doing a bit of research and it seems there is a Lingards Road in London in SE 13 so may be my Nan was right.

Been doing a bit of research and it seems there is a Lingards Road in London in SE 13 so may be my Nan was right.

Hiya old mate, I've done a lot of family ancestry research and found a lot of the things I was told by my gran and other family members, which I took as myths, were actually true.

Don't discard anything, you never know.

Hope you are well.:headbang:

Hiya old mate, I've done a lot of family ancestry research and found a lot of the things I was told by my gran and other family members, which I took as myths, were actually true.

Don't discard anything, you never know.

Hope you are well.:headbang:

I am mate you? I'm enjoying retirement can thoroughly recommend it :)