Could "God" pass the Elijah test?

God is omniscient and omnipotent, so not only can god do anything, he also knows when anyone is going to ask him to do something and what his response will be. There are no surprises for god and it's impossible for him to have a change of mind.

You just contradicted yourself there. 'God can do anything'. ' It's impossible for him to have a change of mind'.

Which is it?

God is omniscient and omnipotent, so not only can god do anything, he also knows when anyone is going to ask him to do something and what his response will be. There are no surprises for god and it's impossible for him to have a change of mind.

In effect he has no free will.

jb

You just contradicted yourself there. 'God can do anything'. ' It's impossible for him to have a change of mind'.

Which is it?

There are a lot of problems with the claim that god is omniscient and omnipotent. God not being able to change his mind is one of them.

What I can't understand is how Christianity can claim a omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god exists when the bible, in many places, depicts a god that isn't any of those things. Have the theologians, like writers of a comic book who invent superheroes, simply pulled ideas out of their backside while trying to invent that god?

Baal was the sun god of the tribes the early Christians wished to occupy therefor they demonised this more ancient representation of their god in order to justify the rape and murder of these people, something they did for the next seventeen hundred years or so.

There are a lot of problems with the claim that god is omniscient and omnipotent. God not being able to change his mind is one of them.

What I can't understand is how Christianity can claim a omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god exists when the bible, in many places, depicts a god that isn't any of those things. Have the theologians, like writers of a comic book who invent superheroes, simply pulled ideas out of their backside while trying to invent that god?

In answer to your question, yes, I believe they did. Whilst I was raised religiously - as a Catholic - I could never accept the total illogicality of the whole thing.

Went to a Methodist service a while back ( family thing ) & had to struggle to keep a straight face at some of the inconsistencies in the hymns sung during the service.

One minute it was God is loving, forgiving & all will be saved. Next minute the Wrath of God is mighty, & sinners & unbelievers will be smitten by his vengeance.

Talk about make your bleedin mind up!

Having said which, the people there were decent well meaning types & why should I start having a go about their faith?

If it brings them comfort & helps them get through life then good luck to them. :)

i believe that those who believe, believe that he does not feel the need to prove his existence or his abilities

Pretty convenient, but that renders the parable in his book false doesn't it?

if you accept he did it (at least) once before, isn't it a reasonable assumption that he could do it again?

perhaps it's like a beckham free kick - most attempts don't come off, but once every now and then he hits the target

maybe all these bush fires are god just practicing for when he is called upon again

i suppose it could have been a fluke or a co-incidence - or maybe even a made up story

Indeed.

Archived