Are bread vans still around?

Bluefeline

I always remember the bread van being around Sheffield when I was a kid. Do they still have them or have they just gone out of fashion?

We also had a pop man, not really sure why we needed one, milk man, oh and the potato man. I know it sounds like a bad joke but we did. It was really handy.

Does anyone else remember these?

and on the council estate no where near any shops came just about every thing,I know my wife very young and just a little pregnant use to get very special deals from the butcher van much to the howls of all the others in line

At Nethybridge, in the Highlands there's a fish and chip van parked outside Spar every Monday about 5pm. Stays for about 3 hours. I used to drive a bread van and make deliveries in Tavistock - but that was 45 years ago. The milkman's days are numbered too, I think as most people 40 or under seem to buy milk in 2 litre plastic from the supermarkets.

Certainly do. I used to dream of getting a bun from the Fletchers van, or a bottle of pop from the Ben Shaws van, but sadly my parents didn't hold with such frippery.

Brings back memories the Fletchers van on the Gleadless Valley, we'd all go down to him and try to get an elephant's foot cream bun. When he set off some of us us to stand on the tailboard on the back while he went just a few yards :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived