The majority of British (questioned) believe in "spiritual forces"

Do you believe in supernatural/spiritual forces?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in supernatural/spiritual forces?

• Yes
    • No

A simple definition would be something that isn't natural wouldn't it? A physical property of the universe that we don't yet understand is still natural, so not supernatural and definitely not "spiritual".

Rather than the apple analogy, I see attributing anything to the supernatural as a response akin to going,

"well, we don't understand this thing/phenomenon/event yet, and so I declare it impossible to understand and will believe that it is not part of the natural order of the universe, but instead is some sort of special thing/event/phenomenon that requires a special label."

It's just giving up on reason and instead making up a reason so as to not appear ignorant.

I agree.

But:

(from oxforddictionaries.com)

adjective

• (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature:a supernatural being

I suspect the bold bit could cause a flurry of posts as soon as someone like, for instance, Smithy gets a sniff...

I am a believer in the power of spirits,

Gordons Gin, Johnny Walker Whisky, (the muslims choice!) Martell Brandy and Captain Morgan Rum.

My belief system also extends to eastern Europe where Vodka dwells.

Multi-cultural spiritualism... it's the future.

So, just to get this straight, both you and Alchresearch think that because there are things in the Universe we can't see or hear, there must be spiritual forces?

I think you're being too literal.

There are many things which defy explanation. It's not just the nuts and bolts of physics, which might provide an answer to some things eventuality.

There are many things which defy explanation. It's not just the nuts and bolts of physics, which might provide an answer to some things eventuality.

I've had a few experiences which defy explanation, one of which seriously amazes me every time I contemplate it but these never, ever, lead me to consider any so-called "spiritual" involvement.

Why is this? Is it my genes? My education? My upbringing? Or am I just a godless void?

I agree that there are things without explanation, I have witnessed some myself. The problem is that you are giving them an explanation, without reason. What you're saying is pretty much the same as Cyclone's analogy...

"well, we don't understand this thing/phenomenon/event yet, and so I declare it impossible to understand and will believe that it is not part of the natural order of the universe, but instead is some sort of special thing/event/phenomenon that requires a special label."

It's just giving up on reason and instead making up a reason so as to not appear ignorant.

EDIT: For me, they remain unexplained, I have as much reason to believe spiritual forces are the cause as I have to believe that cosmic radiation, or a tin of beans are the cause, therefore I do not attribute the unexplained things to a specific cause (ie, spiritual forces)

Archived