The majority of British (questioned) believe in "spiritual forces"

Do you believe in supernatural/spiritual forces?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in supernatural/spiritual forces?

• Yes
    • No

I agree that there are things without explanation, I have witnessed some myself. The problem is that you are giving them an explanation, without reason. What you're saying is pretty much the same as Cyclone's analogy...

EDIT: For me, they remain unexplained, I have as much reason to believe spiritual forces are the cause as I have to believe that cosmic radiation, or a tin of beans are the cause, therefore I do not attribute the unexplained things to a specific cause (ie, spiritual forces)

I said some things might be explained by physics in the future, not all. And if quantum physics is an example, solving one enigma just creates 10 more.

We are being arrogant if we think we will one day understand everything. Maybe some things are not meant to be known. There will always be room for spiritual forces.

I said some things might be explained by physics in the future, not all. And if quantum physics is an example, solving one enigma just creates 10 more.

We are being arrogant if we think we will one day understand everything. Maybe some things are not meant to be known. There will always be room for spiritual forces.

If several unknown phenomena today have their causes ascribed to a 'spiritual force', what does it say about the spiritual force if a scientific explanation is developed for one of those unknown phenomena? Should we just assume that we were wrong about the spiritual force being responsible for that one phenomena and assume it's still responsible for the others or should we question the existence of the spiritual force? What about when the next unknown phenomena turns out to have a scientific explanation? And the next...

I haven't said anything contrary to this. "Room for spiritual forces" doesn't seem to me to be a reason to currently believe in them though. Do you actually have a reason?

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 15:19 ----------

We're supposedly in for a bad winter this year. Why? Because of the behaviour of nature. How does "nature" know that the weather is going to be bad? Is that not a spiritual force (Gaia?) at work?

Hang on, your saying;

1) Nature's behaviour causes the bad weather

2) Nature knows that it's behaviour is to blame for the bad weather, therefore is a spiritual force

eh? :suspect:

Invoking the supernatural is just a cop out on trying to understand.

Whether or not we ever manage to understand everything is irrelevant, the point is that it does all follow rules, even if we can't figure them out (yet).

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 15:58 ----------

We're supposedly in for a bad winter this year. Why? Because of the behaviour of nature. How does "nature" know that the weather is going to be bad? Is that not a spiritual force (Gaia?) at work?

Now you're just being silly.

Nature just describes part of the physical aspect of the world we live in, it's not a decision making entity. Physics determines what the weather will be, and note I say determines, not decides, decision implies consciousness, the basic rules of behaviour of the universe determine the weather.

Since when did nature become conscious?

Nature just describes part of the physical aspect of the world we live in, it's not a decision making entity. Physics determines what the weather will be, and note I say determines, not decides, decision implies consciousness, the basic rules of behaviour of the universe determine the weather.

What ^^^ says. Anything Supernatural/spiritual isn't a decision making entity. You cam make decisions based on your supernatural belief but those decisions can't be substantiated physically or scientifically, so therefore are only confined to your own "personal" space/belief.

If several unknown phenomena today have their causes ascribed to a 'spiritual force', what does it say about the spiritual force if a scientific explanation is developed for one of those unknown phenomena? Should we just assume that we were wrong about the spiritual force being responsible for that one phenomena and assume it's still responsible for the others or should we question the existence of the spiritual force? What about when the next unknown phenomena turns out to have a scientific explanation? And the next...

It always goes back to the same thing - Where did it all come from? What happened before the big bang? Who or what created the energy, the mass?

What caused it to come into being?

Archived