Hiding waste pipe (any plumbers, builder, etc)

I've just pulled out our old bathroom suite and preparing the room to fit a new one. The old basin was built into a cabinet and the bath was boxed in which hide all the pipework. The new suite is one of those freestanding types meaning I now have the headache of hiding exposed pipework. I've managed to move the copper pipes (flexi hoses are a god-send) but am having trouble with basin and bath waste pipes. I've lifted a few floor boards it looks like there's 5 full height joists between the basin and soil stack. I'd prefer to run the waste pipe below the floor but not sure if notching all 5 joists in order to get to the other end of the room is a good idea. The joists are approx. 220mm high and the waste pipe is 32mm plus I’d need to allow for a slope I guess. The wall the waste pipe runs alongside is just a stud/plastered wall so there's no chance of channelling it behind that. What do the pros do in this situation or is there no option other than to simply keep it above floor level and box it in as best as you can?

Any advice would be appreciated

What's Below the Bathroom?

Where is the Bath in relation to the sink?

Personally I wouldn't want the weight of a full bath on notched/Holed Joists.

is it Feasible to relocate the sink/Bath to the out facing wall, negating the need for cutting joists?

What's Below the Bathroom?

Where is the Bath in relation to the sink?

Personally I wouldn't want the weight of a full bath on notched/Holed Joists.

is it Feasible to relocate the sink/Bath to the out facing wall, negating the need for cutting joists?

Kitchen is below the bathroom. The bathroom itself is only 2.5m by 2m with a door and window at either end so not much room for a shuffle about. The toilet soil stack is in the corner with the toilet. I don't like the idea of cutting the joists.

|..[sink].....[--------------]|

|..............[-----bath-----]|

|..............[--------------]|

|....................................|

../.................................|

./..................................|

/..............................[wc]|

Alternatively, while the bathroom is stripped, you could raise the floor, and leave a recess for the waist pipe, you only need a couple of mm drop. bit more expense, but cleaner than boxing it in.

What state is the kitchen in?

Archived