Jailed for Miscarrying a child

I think it was Pope JP2 who declared that birth-control was incompatible with RC faith,but to suggest these people are stupid simply exposes your restricted vocabulary-inflexible might be a better term.

On the contrary, I used exactly the word I intended to... Perhaps if you spend less time trying to read my mind and telling me what I mean you might have more time to think about your own opinion.

On the contrary, I used exactly the word I intended to... Perhaps if you spend less time trying to read my mind and telling me what I mean you might have more time to think about your own opinion.

If you were a tad clearer then I could indeed spend more time reflecting on my own views.

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 12:45 ----------

Stupid people following a stupid religion.

The origin of the law in question is the Catholic teachings, the application is down to the stupidity of the particular Catholics in power.

Strawman, nobody ever made that claim.

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 09:42 ----------

It's Catholic ideology to not allow abortion (or even birth control or contraception). Which is all that has ever been claimed.

So millions of Portugese,Italians,Spanish,Filipinos,French and German nationals are stupid and Cyclone is smart.Shall we have a poll?I have omitted the Goans in India,the south Vietnamese and other adherents.

I think the point here is that the Catholic church has the power to intervene regarding this case, that's of course if they think their doctrine has been misrepresented and overstepped. I doubt that will happen in this case as the State is the Catholic church. Rome's silence is deafening.

It seems such a pity that the likes of Avaaz will have to take up the cause, otherwise she''l no doubt rot in some cesspit of a jail.

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 14:05 ----------

So millions of Portugese,Italians,Spanish,Filipinos,French and German nationals are stupid and Cyclone is smart.Shell we have a poll?I have omitted the Goans in India,the south Vietnamese and other adherents.

If millions of people told you your mother was a chicken and your father a chest of draws I could only conclude that you would label them stupid (at the least), and quite rightly so.

But..

Chickens exist, draws exist, so therefore the chances are that the likelihood of my suggestion has more weight behind it than God exists as a creator. So the analogy of "stupid" isn't that far fetched.

Stupid people following a stupid religion.

The origin of the law in question is the Catholic teachings, the application is down to the stupidity of the particular Catholics in power.

I won't argue with you there.

Strawman, nobody ever made that claim.

No not a strawman, you can't dismiss it that easy without coming back without a better argument. It's been claimed that the jailing of a woman who miscarried is down to Catholicism. Nowhere does the Catholic Church teach that women who miscarry should be punished. It (the Catholic Church) may teach that abortion is wrong, but have they forced this particular country to enact the laws it has? Does it dictate how those laws are applied? Did the Church say to jail a woman who miscarried?

People who make laws in the countries mentioned in the article do so in line with Catholic ideology as decided by the Vatican. They could if they wanted choose not to enact and enforce such regressive laws. The Vatican if it wanted could change its values. To say that the religious conservatives in Latin America are not influenced by the Vatican is a total lie. You are getting close to the cliché about asking if the Pope is Catholic.

The same sort of thing is happening in places like Mississippi and Virginia; where religious lobby groups and their politicians have been trying to implement laws that would see women who suffer miscarriages as criminals.

I won't argue with you there.

No not a strawman, you can't dismiss it that easy without coming back without a better argument. It's been claimed that the jailing of a woman who miscarried is down to Catholicism. Nowhere does the Catholic Church teach that women who miscarry should be punished. It (the Catholic Church) may teach that abortion is wrong, but have they forced this particular country to enact the laws it has? Does it dictate how those laws are applied? Did the Church say to jail a woman who miscarried?

Yes it does. The foetus is regarded a living entity from the day it's heart beats. The church does not baptise the child until born, leaving a shortfall of quite a few months. If the mother is a devout Catholic and the child is sent to "limbo" then not only is the child punished for original sin but the mother also by default. Why can the child not be baptised in the womb while the heart is still functioning?

What is worrying is your naivety regarding church and state as though the state stands separate from church. Like the Islamic religion you abhor I'm guessing you're finding the similarities a little to hard to digest.

Yes it does. The foetus is regarded a living entity from the day it's heart beats. The church does not baptise the child until born, leaving a shortfall of quite a few months. If the mother is a devout Catholic and the child is sent to "limbo" then not only is the child punished for original sin but the mother also by default. Why can the child not be baptised in the womb while the heart is still functioning?

So just to clarify, does the Catholic Church say to jail the mother of a child who dies of natural causes? Yes or no will suffice.

If you claim it does, I'll await your evidence.

I think the point here is that the Catholic church has the power to intervene regarding this case, that's of course if they think their doctrine has been misrepresented and overstepped. I doubt that will happen in this case as the State is the Catholic church. Rome's silence is deafening.

It seems such a pity that the likes of Avaaz will have to take up the cause, otherwise she''l no doubt rot in some cesspit of a jail.

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 14:05 ----------

If millions of people told you your mother was a chicken and your father a chest of draws I could only conclude that you would label them stupid (at the least), and quite rightly so.

But..

Chickens exist, draws exist, so therefore the chances are that the likelihood of my suggestion has more weight behind it than God exists as a creator. So the analogy of "stupid" isn't that far fetched.

This post was out of the top draw(er)-I have not called anyone stupid.Your facetious remarks are presumably based on misreading my post.I do not support the RC position but was playing devil's avocado.

Seven, if the Catholic church has policies against abortion & contraception - and the Catholic church, along with it followers, interfere with politics and law in attempts to make abortion and contraception illegal, then don't you think the Catholic church is responsible?

What is worrying is your naivety regarding church and state as though the state stands separate from church. Like the Islamic religion you abhor I'm guessing you're finding the similarities a little to hard to digest.

What is the relationship between the catholic church and the state operating in the UK?There are many states which are beyond the RC influence.

Archived