Man told to tone down Halloween Display

Please see link, the man has been told to tone down his annual Halloween display that he does for Cancer charities.

I'm no prude but it is is rather gory and, perhaps a step too far ,DISCLAIMER please note the picture is quite graphic & I hold no responsibility if you peruse it, mods please don't stop this thread it is on BBC site so not meant to cause offence.

"...from a parent..."

"...it was going to upset their children..."

Not that the children had been upset.

Most children brought up with a reading list that includes Horrible Histories wouldn't bat an eyelid at that sort of thing. They'd love it. A bit of make believe gore.

I sometimes wonder if kids who are upset is because their parents have taught them to be, instead of letting them enjoy a bit of harmless pretending.

Please see link, the man has been told to tone down his annual Halloween display that he does for Cancer charities.

I'm no prude but it is is rather gory and, perhaps a step too far ,DISCLAIMER please note the picture is quite graphic & I hold no responsibility if you peruse it, mods please don't stop this thread it is on BBC site so not meant to cause offence.

Then the kids go and make an effigy of Guy Fawkes and burn him alive on a bonfire.

What exactly can the police do about it?

I'd tell em to FRO, and to make sure they leave a donation on their way out.

it looks good, im into gore films etc anyway, BUT im in the camp that not all people are of the same disposition whether children OR adults

im sure there is some law they could do him on tbh, whether its public order or something like the obscene publications act?

couldnt it be similer to releasing a film without a certificate?

ie:- kids are seeing gore when if it was a film it might be an 18?

I'd like to offer an alternative view.

There is something fundamentally tasteless and upsetting about a representation, for the purpose of entertainment, of a human torso made to look as though it has been tortured or savaged and its internal organs hacked around. They don't show such images on the TV news, as they are deemed to be too disturbing. They don't show them in films aimed at children. They are horribly and unnecessarily - and possibly desensitisingly - graphic. I don't think they're frightening, as nothing is left to the imagination and it's the imagination which produces real fear. But what makes this person think it's OK to construct a public display of such images/representations? I realise that it's a fundraiser, but it would probably have been more successful if he'd kept it indoors and charged admission. If you sat in a shopping centre with such an unpleasant effigy, you would rightly be asked to leave.

I was discussing this with a friend, and she said that it was no worse than some of the stuff Damien Hirst produces, but I'm not sure about that.

I can see how the model in the picture could give a child nightmares, I think he should tone it down slightly, but not totally.

I passed a house today on Halifax Road which has had the front garden turned into a Halloween 'graveyard'. Nowhere near as gory as the one in the article, just some plastic headstones and skeleton hands which appear to be emerging from the ground.

Archived