Elderly person in supermarket

I recently came across an elderly lady in a supermarket, aged 92 with a sick husband in bed.

I did my own shopping, went home and returned to help her as I was concerned about her. i helped her shop and then drove her home. I was happy to do this and intend to visit her weekly as she says they have no family. I don't want thanks or abuse for this

This couple live 20 mins from a bus stop but it means walking which is not within their remit.

It galls me that these people can easily slip under the radar yet they are so vulnerable. How can we help them?

I recently came across an elderly lady in a supermarket, aged 92 with a sick husband in bed.

I did my own shopping, went home and returned to help her as I was concerned about her. i helped her shop and then drove her home. I was happy to do this and intend to visit her weekly as she says they have no family. I don't want thanks or abuse for this

This couple live 20 mins from a bus stop but it means walking which is not within their remit.

It galls me that these people can easily slip under the radar yet they are so vulnerable. How can we help them?

They didn't slip under the radar..obviously. If it wasn't within their "remit" how did they get there btw?

Some old folk are very independent . Be careful that your offer of weekly help as a complete stranger could be seen as overbearing, manners may prevent them from saying so. Old folk are not simple, quite the opposite really. Your help is commendable but I see no reason for thanks or abuse unless you want thanks or abuse. I help a couple across from me every morning by getting their staples...milk bread etc. Takes 10 mins of my time without any effort or need to advertise. I just do it because their a lovely couple and frail.

They didn't slip under the radar..obviously. If it wasn't within their "remit" how did they get there btw?

Some old folk are very independent . Be careful that your offer of weekly help as a complete stranger could be seen as overbearing, manners may prevent them from saying so. Old folk are not simple, quite the opposite really. Your help is commendable but I see no reason for thanks or abuse unless you want thanks or abuse. I help a couple across from me every morning by getting their staples...milk bread etc. Takes 10 mins of my time without any effort or need to advertise. I just do it because their a lovely couple and frail.

I left my number and said I would call in fortnightly. They asked me to visit weekly. The lady had got on a bus from totley to get some jam to treat her 94year husband who I have now met. He is bec bound to their flat. She was lost, cold and thought it was4pm when it was 7.30. She didnt know she was in aldi. I drove around totley for 45 mins before she remembered her address and took her home. I don't want commending, they are brilliant and I am glad I met them.

I was astounded that a 92 year old woman who, by her own admission never leaves her house in the dark and struggles with day to dy tasks, gets no help that's all. It's wrong. The very old and the very young are the most vulnerable and it worries me.

Where there's a will...:suspect:

If this story is true, the correct thing to do is to report the matter to Social Services first thing tomorrow morning. Make notes of the time, date and the person to whom you spoke.

I agree. If it's as bad as you say then clearly SS don't know.

I have had similar experiences, if things are as you believe them to be it is a crying shame. However, the lady seems a little confused at times from what you say (to be expected at that age) and there is a possibility that someone else is also looking out for them, but she forgot and asked you.

It would be nice if social services came in and supplied a home help each day

like the old days. The danger nowadays is that they may take the husband into hospital and put the wife in a home, not what they would want I guess.

Archived