Elderly person in supermarket

I think the couple should be consulted before arrangements are made for them:D

Yes that's the point I was making, someone had suggested ringing social services.

That could result in their wishes being ignored. It's really hard to know what to do for the best in these situations :(

It was the mention of no relatives that prompted it I think :|

No relatives doesn't mean they have a will or any money. If they were quite well off then surely the lady would have got a taxi to the supermarket rather than have to walk to a bus stop then catch a bus. I think the only think the OP is guilty of (if anything) is a little bit of self promotion. He feels good at what he has has done and so wants to share it.

I say well done :thumbsup:

No relatives doesn't mean they have a will or any money. If they were quite well off then surely the lady would have got a taxi to the supermarket rather than have to walk to a bus stop then catch a bus. I think the only think the OP is guilty of (if anything) is a little bit of self promotion. He feels good at what he has has done and so wants to share it.

I say well done :thumbsup:

If we had more people like the OP the world would be a better place, that goes without saying.

BTW I wasn't condoning the "Will" comment.

As a GP in a rural practice, I was sitting in my surgery one afternoon with no patients. The rain was coming of the roof like a waterfall, and many roads were flooded.

Looking at the book, I noticed a 92 year old lady from a few streets away had an appointment.

Having nothing to do, I got into my diesel Nissan Patrol 4WD and drove up the road, water to the hubcaps.

When I arrived at her house, I found her in the porch, getting her boots on to walk down to the surgery. She was quite amused that I had troubled to come to her, as she would have had no trouble walking down.

I took her prescription to the pharmacist, and he took it round on his way home.

That lady managed alone, though her neighbours knew that she always hung out a towel on her porch to show them she was up and about -- if they didn't see it, they called on her.

"Aren't you afraid you might die here all alone?"

"Young man, everybody dies alone, even if the house is full of people!" she replied.

And eventually, she did.

One house call I couldn't do that night. There was more than a metre of fast flowing water along the only road to the farm.

Yes, we get real weather in Queensland.

Why must people be so nasty about someone who is doing a good turn for an old couple? I think it is lovely that someone can offer the milk of human kindness to fellow man.

At the end of the day, showing kindness and consideration to our fellow man may well be the only defence we have against corporatism.....

Don't Sheffield City Council have a scheme where elderly & disabled people can be driven to the shops on a weekly basis in one of those mini buses with wheelchair access etc.

I'm sure I've seen a leaflet on it before but cannot remember the name will google now...

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 13:45 ----------

http://www.sheffieldct.co.uk/

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/door2door/

---------- Post added 20-10-2013 at 13:46 ----------

The Door 2 Door service will pick you up from your home and take you around your local area and beyond, making your travel experience as comfortable as possible. Before using a Door 2 Door service, you will need to register. To register you will need contact your local Door 2 Door operator and fill out a simple form.

Link to Sheffield Door to Door guide;

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/door2doorsheffield2013.pdf/

Archived