Elderly person in supermarket

They didn't slip under the radar..obviously. If it wasn't within their "remit" how did they get there btw?

Some old folk are very independent . Be careful that your offer of weekly help as a complete stranger could be seen as overbearing, manners may prevent them from saying so. Old folk are not simple, quite the opposite really. Your help is commendable but I see no reason for thanks or abuse unless you want thanks or abuse. I help a couple across from me every morning by getting their staples...milk bread etc. Takes 10 mins of my time without any effort or need to advertise. I just do it because their a lovely couple and frail.

I'm 82 years old, very fortunate to have good hearing, 20/20 vision following cataract surgery. I admit to being a little short on memory, but keep my brain active with crossword and cryptogarms, but I appreciate help when it is offered, usually when I'm climbing stairs and such, and I thank those who offer it. I don't like being shouted at because the helper thinks I'm deaf, humored because somebody assumes I'm senile, but I grin and bear it for their kindness. It's very good what you're trying to do. Its in the spirit of the Sheffield I once knew.

I recently came across an elderly lady in a supermarket, aged 92 with a sick husband in bed.

I did my own shopping, went home and returned to help her as I was concerned about her. i helped her shop and then drove her home. I was happy to do this and intend to visit her weekly as she says they have no family. I don't want thanks or abuse for this

This couple live 20 mins from a bus stop but it means walking which is not within their remit.

It galls me that these people can easily slip under the radar yet they are so vulnerable. How can we help them?

We have one or two elderly people on our block. They live alone and are often without visitors. The rest of us watch over them. They have all our phone numbers and know that at any time they can count on one or more of us to be there for them.

That's the way a neighbourhood should function. After all, any one of us could one day end up in the same boat

Why must people be so nasty about someone who is doing a good turn for an old couple? I think it is lovely that someone can offer the milk of human kindness to fellow man.

I do too but as they didn't want commending or thanks I witheld.

there is a 86 year old man, who lives in complete poverty, no heating, no proper electrics, lives on going down public bins and eating whatever he finds.

hes had a heart bypass only six months ago, i told EVERYONE, social services, hospital staff, age concern, even the police.

i spoke to them because he brought home a can of petrol and was planning to use it in the kitchen..... Do you know what ALL OF THEM SAID.. they couldn't do a flipping thing!! as long as he keeps within the law they leave him alone,

his doctor has said hes got mental capacity so as far as the authority's are concerned its out of there hands..

that's the culture today, as long as its someones else s problem they don't want the hassle. so the first post is all too believable.

I'm puzzled as to what exactly you think they should do? It's not that it's someone elses problem, it's that there isn't a problem that they are supposed to deal with...

Presumably he does get his pension, pension credits, winter fuel payment and so on... So not really in total poverty.

I'm puzzled as to what exactly you think they should do? It's not that it's someone elses problem, it's that there isn't a problem that they are supposed to deal with...

Presumably he does get his pension, pension credits, winter fuel payment and so on... So not really in total poverty.

I don't think with old people the problem is necessarily money, it's often a little job like changing a lightbulb, posting a letter, or moving something they can't lift.

Waiting a week for someone to put a new light in the toilet must seem like eternity.

I would say most elderly people need some help at times even if it's not in the remit of Social services. That's where we come in.

I don't think with old people the problem is necessarily money, it's often a little job like changing a lightbulb, posting a letter, or moving something they can't lift.

Waiting a week for someone to put a new light in the toilet must seem like eternity.

I would say most elderly people need some help at times even if it's not in the remit of Social services. That's where we come in.

Good post. We all mostly live a life of routine. It's just a case of seeing the chinks in the routine of others you may have concern over. I'm aware of others independence as I'm quite independent myself and would feel a little, if not a lot intimidated if I had someone knocking on my door every 5 mins making me feel as though I was incapable. Thankfully I'm not at that age stage yet, fingers crossed. Social services are no alternative to "That's where we come in". Acting on that phrase makes us a community, community I'm sad to say which is lacking. The silliness is, it doesn't actually take a lot of effort, quite the contrary.

My mum is 91yrs old and as fit as a fiddle. She is totally independent and does all her own cooking washing and housework. The neighbours are great and if they didn't see her setting off down the street on one of her many jaunts they would be knocking on her door. I feel lucky for these kind people because her living in Leeds means I cannot get over as often as I would like.i kept an eye on my elderly neighbour until he died, it takes so little time but is much appreciated.

Fair enough, but that doesn't explain what monkey86 was expecting to be done.

Archived