1902 tram ride movie though Sheffield

Nagel

What an interesting film! But Hillsbro is quite right - Fargate doesn't feature at all. It goes from Pinstone Street (where the tower of St Paul's Church can be seen in the distance) to the lower part of High Street. The old photos linked by Hillsboro make this clear - the old Fitzalan Market opposite the Marples Hotel and the ornate lamp post at the top of Angel Street. Fascinating!

What an interesting film! But Hillsbro is quite right - Fargate doesn't feature at all. It goes from Pinstone Street (where the tower of St Paul's Church can be seen in the distance) to the lower part of High Street. The old photos linked by Hillsboro make this clear - the old Fitzalan Market opposite the Marples Hotel and the ornate lamp post at the top of Angel Street. Fascinating!

Hi Banker. I don't think I said that Fargate featured in the footage but inferred that logically the tram would have travelled down Fargate to reach High St from Pinstone St. It possibly could have turned left into Leopold St and then sharp right down Church St but, from memory, the direct route was the one used. Most of the journey on London Rd is not filmed but we can assume that the tram traversed it on its travels.

hillsbro. Thanks for the info on the Fitzalan Market. I never knew of its existence and those 6 arches did puzzle me somewhat. My memory only stretches back as far as the Norfolk market hall and the post blitz burnt out shells of Burtons at the top Angel St, C&A next to it and The Marples, across the road.

echo.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 12:08 ----------

Have followed this very closely,but like others in N America have stated I cannot find a way to view the trip. However I thought some may like to compare the ride of San Fransisco tram in 1905 /or not.

beezerboy, That's a fascinating clip in comparison. The major difference is the much wider street in San Francisco and the multitude of cars on the road. Non are seen in the Sheffield film. I guess with the erratic driving habits illustrated it was shot before any 'Rules of the Road' were introduced.

echo.

...Wouldn't it be great if modern streetview images could be put alongside> Is there any way of doing this?
Here are .three .attempts !

Does anyone know which letters stand for which tram routes? My guesses are:

.A = Abbeydale

.NE = Nether Edge

.E = Ecclesall

.H = Heeley

.W = Wicker

.F = Fargate

The 'A' trams are seen on London Road and an an 'E' tram does turn into Ecclesall Road. Oddly, at Moorhead (about 2:26) an 'A' tram turns right towards Union Street while other 'A' trams are on Pinstone Street. Maybe some 'A' trams terminated at Moorhead|?

.A = Abbeydale

.NE = Nether Edge

.E = Ecclesall

.H = Heeley

.W = Wicker

.F = Fargate

The 'A' trams are seen on London Road and an an 'E' tram does turn into Ecclesall Road. Oddly, at Moorhead (about 2:26) an 'A' tram turns right towards Union Street while other 'A' trams are on Pinstone Street. Maybe some 'A' trams terminated at Moorhead|?

A was used for cars to both Abbeydale and Attercliffe: handy, as from April 1902 the two places were linked by a through route.

E was Ecclesall

F was Fulwood

H was Heeley and Hillsborough (presumably Heeley in the film)

NE was Nether Edge

W was Walkley, which suggests that the single deck tram carrying W is showing the wrong letter. For much of 1902 trams from Walkley ran through the city to Pitsmoor and showed letter P.

.A = Abbeydale

.NE = Nether Edge

.E = Ecclesall

.H = Heeley

.W = Wicker

.F = Fargate

You absolute STAR!!!! Thanks Hillsbro!