Paris hints and tips?

Go on the river. Go to the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. They are all lovely, but predictable.

You should also try St Chapelle, Musee D'Orsay, Place Vendome, the roof of Galerie Lafayette and the Place Pompidou (Beaubourg).

If you are feeling ghoulish, the catacombs are interesting. Also think about the parks at St Cloud, Bois De Boulogne and The Tuileries.

Most of all, stroll, eat, drink, sit, enjoy. It is a fabulous city.

After booking in go to your nearest Metro and go to Trocadero metro station.

Follow the directions to Trocadero/Rue President Wilson/Palais de Chaillot exit. At street level you will not initially see the Eiffel tower but as you walk around the corner ....! Do this first.

Versailles by RER, for good walks around the gardens and massive fish in lake.

Jardin des Plantes (small zoo) and Natural History Museum.

Many of the galleries are closed on Mondays. Some have booking systems.

If going to the Louvre, plan your route and what you want to see before you go. There are many galleries for art style/crafts/modern/pots pans/fashion etc which have much more interesting, manageable exhibitions than the Louvre.

Museum and gallery list

Montmatre and Sacre Coeur.

Montparnasse and around the Left Bank/Sorbonne for food. Some bars and restaurants close quite early in the suburbs.

Take some plastic knives and forks, bottle opener, wipes, small rucksack etc so that at lunchtime you can go to the supermarkets and get some strange food and eat in the park.

As its your honeymoon there is no need to rush around trying to do everything as no doubt you will visit many times in the future.

When around the major tourist sights, Eiffel Tower, Tuileries, Lourve, Sacre Coeur. Keep a very close eye out for Roma Gypsies, they will try and pickpocket you, many of them are just children.

One of the tricks I saw them use a lot on my last but very recent trip to Paris is to come up to people with a clipboard with a piece of paper with some sort of message on it. This is an attempt to distract you while someone else has a go at robbing you.

Lots of young West African males trying to sell you bits of tat for €1. I've found Once they realise you're not interested in buying a plastic Eiffel Tower, they quickly move along to the next person.

I never had any problems from either set of people, but then again I don't scream out look I'm a tourist come rob me. You know back pack, camera over the shoulder, map in one hand, too busy looking round going ohh ahh when they see the Eiffel Tower.

Off to Paris the week after next on our honeymoon. Of course we have done some research on the internet about what to see etc but just looking for any insider info from people who have been?

Thanks,

Just watch your handbags, purses and wallets while traveling on the Metro.

Archived