TPS service ignored by Stop These Calls company & other insurances

I was going through my elderly mother's paperwork on Saturday (as I do, once per week) and found that she has been subscribed to a paid for telephone preference service called STOP THESE CALLS.

My mother is already on the TPS so surely by this company calling her they are breaking the rules that they are making her pay for other companies to stick to/

I have requested a full refund for her, and an apology and have also stated that as they have called someone, without permission, who is already on the TPS, I will be notifying the ombudsman.

Can anyone please help me with ideas on how I can stop my mother buying rubbish over the phone? She has 5 or 6 insurance policies for her SKY box and TV, she has loads of accident insurance and has just had another renewal notice for Credit / Debit card protection insurance, which she insists she has got to have in case someone steals her card (despite all the publicity about them having to refund all these insurances)

I really am at my wits end with my mother and her buying - but apart from put her on the TPS (which clearly is laughable), taking out her phone or stopping her bank account I don't know what to do.

Desperately need some advice, if anyone has any I would be extremely grateful.

TPS will only stop calls from totally unsolicited sources in the UK.. if your mum has ticked (or not ticked depending on how the forms are worded) the option to not pass details on then it's assumed she's consented to being contacted..as I understand it anyway.. I don't think TPS can do anything about calls originating from abroad..

thank you for the reply. It is a UK company. I doubt she will have ticked/unticked any boxes on anything as the only thing she posts is an all too frequent wine order (problems here too!!).

I am frustrated at telling her every time I see her - do not use your credit card or debit card over the phone.

Is she actually mentally incapable of deciding for herself? Or is it just something you don't agree with?

No, this is not a case of me not agreeing with it - she can spend her money how she likes, clearly.

What I don't agree with is companies ringing and getting her to pay over the phone when it is obvious, on speaking to her, that she is not listening (she never does), she does not understand (not incapable, just a long history of couldn't be bothered) and that she will say yes to absolutely anything if they tell her she needs it. On the same token she insists that if someone she does not know rings her she puts the phone on the side, doesn't hang up, and leaves it for hours, if need be.

She has been deemed of "sound mind" by the geriatric doctors. She buys insurance policies over the phone, answers the door to people she doesn't know and then claims she knows nothing about it. She refuses to do anything herself, including sorting the financial mess she keeps getting herself in.

She is intelligent, just incredibly lazy. And, there is only so much someone can take.... and I am sick of having to sort the mess out that she makes.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:01 ----------

Is she actually mentally incapable of deciding for herself? Or is it just something you don't agree with?
I'm not quite sure why it is either/or?

Archived