Why ban smoking drugs IF..

Originally Posted by Chris_Sleeps View Post

No they aren't. I don't know anyone that buys black market alcohol. Everyone I knows goes to the supermarket, or the pub.

Sorry sir but they do, there are plenty of programmes on TV with shops getting busted selling it, and fake booze at same price as real thing.

Well as long as you're prepared to tar yourself as scum I don't see any hypocrisy in your personal reasoning...but you are saying you're scum I take it?

Another one cant read or at least has trounle understanding ,Im paying a speeding fine next week cos i broke the law a little different to drug dealers..please note the emphasis on dealers which are the people I label scum

I'd not underestimate the government when it comes to being able to organise things.

They do create the worlds most toxic substance and they do it well.

They could be quite efficient when motivated correctly.

If you could propose a viable way of creating, of admin, of revenue, of supply of drugs. The populace would vote for it. The ability of a govenent to proscribe heroin and its treatments (as it used to), to free up police and court time, to provide (100's of) thousands of jobs in the farming, chemical, distribution, packaging, retail industries is a vote winner.

Oh yeah not to mention the millions of drug users would be behind you, assuming they could be arsed to get up that is.

Your looking at it from a cynical point of view, 'It's bad, let's not make it worse'.

I'd propose taking a more realistic approach 'it's bad, but what were doing isn't making it better, so why not try something else?'

I've known many many people over the years take all kinds of drugs and the one single thing they had in common were they were criminals for doing so.

Most of those people would have gone to an approved government shop to buy them had the choice been available.

I could grow my own, but like tomatoes and alcohol I wouldn't, I'd rather go to the shop and pick from a reliable quality controlled dependable source.

When you buy cocain from a random dude in a club there's a very high chance that your not exactly getting genuine stuff. People trust the government/nhs to do as they say they will.

When was the last time you saw a patient second guessing the quality of the drugs proscribed for them? You just don't.

Which is why the criminal growers would be forced out.

Its fantasy world to think the government could do what you propose, and the criminal element won't be forced out, criminal already manufacture fake everything and people buy it because it cheaper, I can't get my head round the fact that people will buy fake cigarets, but they do, fake drugs on line, but they do. If the government can't supply cheaper than the drug lords they are onto a looser, how expensive will drugs be to produced in the UK with UK legislation and minimum wage, no way can the UK compete with foreign imports of cheap drugs.

Another one cant read or at least has trounle understanding ,Im paying a speeding fine next week cos i broke the law a little different to drug dealers..please note the emphasis on dealers which are the people I label scum

I've had my share of run ins on this forum, even with you :hihi::hihi: but don't think I've ever gone low enough to label someone scum, that is a bit low. I have called people scum (killers, burglars & such), but not posters

Diesel? Wtf has diesel got to do with this?

Nothing but its included in the tax our government loose because of smuggling.

---------- Post added 26-10-2013 at 17:44 ----------

So you think prohibition is working?? Ha H!

Nope, but legalisation will just make a bad situation worse.

Yep and that was a completely different time, there is no reason to believe what happened then, would happen know. All the evidence points to increased use if it is made legal.

They even use the "We used to burn witches at the stake and hang children" sometimes.

I

£28.5 billion of tax revenue has been lost to the illicit market in spirits, beer, cigarettes, hand rolling tobacco and diesel between 2005-06 and 2009-10.

All can be be bought legally yet people choose the break the law and buy them illegally. What makes you think drugs will be any different?

They are different things though, and mostly for tax avoidance reasons.

Also I'm not sure you'll ever find anyone who says that dodgy imported alcohol or tobacco cut with wood should ever be legalised.

as for tax revenue 100% of tax revenue from the drugs industry has been lost.

and more to the point..

'A report by the UK government's drug strategy unit that was subsequently leaked to the press, stated that due to the expensive price of highly addictive drugs heroin and cocaine, that drug use was responsible for the great majority of crime, including 85% for shoplifting, 70-80% of burglaries and 54% of robberies. "The cost of crime committed to support illegal cocaine and heroin habits amounts to £16 billion a year in the UK" (note: this is more than the entire annual UK Home Office budget)'

heroin is soo cheap to make that it could be supplied foc to all who wanted it and certainly wouldn't top 16 bil /year

Archived