Why ban smoking drugs IF..

Many drugs have benefits some of us would probably love to try, but we know we can only get them if a doctor prescribes them.

If you have the money you can get a private doctor to issue you with a private prescription for almost any drug you'd want to try, that's available in the BNF.

Including cannabis. Not in the form most people would want, but a plant extract nevertheless.

Or you could buy them over the counter in dozens of other countries.

Just showing you that one of your much vaunted heroes turned out to be another unhinged loony. Don't know how you pick 'em :cool:

Back on topic - no evidence that cannabis can "kill" cancer. Inhibit - ie. slow down the rate of growth is a different animal. Agreed?

Not agreed. There are several models of cancer cell death caused by various cannabinoids, all of which are are enjoying intensive research. Killing cancer cells slows the growth of the tumour. Tis one and the same. With slow growing tumours this may shrink the tumour. With fast growing tumours, it may stop the growth, but not yet shrink it.

It depends so much on the cannabinoid, the cancer, the tumour and of course, the patient.

But there is good evidence that several cannabinoids *do* kill cancer cells, selectively, in several different ways. Good, not conclusive, not incontrovertible, but good, evidence.

But that is pretty OT.

Back to the diesel smuggling was it? :hihi:

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 01:57 ----------

It is estimated that 11.6% of all internationally traded cigarettes are smuggled,

Yeah, with the connivance of the tobacco companies. These aren't "bootleg" fags, these are the real thing pushed onto the grey market by BAT, PM and the like to boost sales. If cigarettes were illegal, and their manufacture also illegal, just how much money would be lost to the black market?

Bootleg booze is a much more worrying problem, because it can be acutely toxic. Can you imagine what the smuggling problems, health problems and tax shortfall would be if booze was made illegal?

(Don't answer those questions btw, they're intended as rhetorical, thanks :) )

oh please thats just wall to wall ********.

the last bit is an american piece of propoganda if ever I heard some.and you just copied it from

http://keepazdrugfree.com/index/2010/09/20/legalization-decriminalization-and-medical-marijuana-laws-all-increase-crime/

I did say it was copied and pasted, it wasn't from that site though, and it says much the same as the many other site I have looked at.

Which part do you disagree with?

This is what the NHS as to say about it.

There are several health risks associated with cannabis use, including dependency problems, mental health problems and lung damage.

As with other drugs, dependence on cannabis is influenced by a number of factors, including how long you’ve been using it, how much you use and whether you are more prone to becoming dependent.

You may find you have difficulty stopping regular use, and you may experience psychological and physical withdrawal symptoms when you do stop. Withdrawal symptoms can include cravings for cannabis, irritability, mood changes, appetite disturbance, weight loss, difficulty sleeping and, in some people, sweating, shaking and diarrhoea.

That is such a bias view its unreal, a cheap plentiful source of lliegal drugs hasn't done that so why would a legal source do it?

Legalisation will normalise it's use and many people that won't try it because its legal are likely to try it when it become legal and readily available.

also you might want to consider some of the people on this list before yo go tarring everyone with the idle brush..

http://www.soveriegn.freeservers.com/drugs.htm...

I didn't tar eveyone with the same brush.

also william wilberforce was a drug user whts your thoughts on him and his ideas? seriously..what do you make of him?

I have no thoughts on him.

which experts?

there are none who proscribe to your way of thinking

I've quoted some of them on this topic, go back and look.

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 07:05 ----------

Really?? What research?

I've looked at the link where you seem to get all your information

http://edgogek.com/brief-summary/

I can't find it there either, it seems to be made up.

I don't know what research they are talking about on that site, so I took this from another site.

An article published in the Journal of Addictive Behaviors reported that “marijuana is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship.”

Marijuana use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Marijuana is a major contributing factor in the prevalence of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is to say that marijuana causes these problems, its use makes it more likely that an individual will act out in violence. For example, a study conducted by the Research Institute on Addictions found that among individuals who were chronic partner abusers, the use of marijuana was associated with significant increases in the daily likelihood of male-to-female physical aggression, but the use of marijuana was not. Specifically, the odds of abuse were eight times higher on days when men were using the drug; the odds of severe abuse were 11 times higher. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) website highlights marijuana as the “most commonly used chemical in crimes of sexual assault” and provides information on an array of other drugs that have been linked to sexual violence.

The National Institute on Marijuana Abuse and Marijuanaism estimates that 95-99% of violent crimes in the United States are linked to the use of marijuana.

............................................................................................................

WASHINGTON — Marijuana is the drug most often linked to crime in the United States, the U.S. drug czar said Thursday, dismissing calls for legalization as a “bumper-sticker approach” that should be avoided.

Gil Kerlikowske, the White House director of national drug-control policy, said a study by his office showed a strong link between drug use and crime. Eighty percent of the adult males arrested for crimes in Sacramento, Calif., last year tested positive for at least one illegal drug. Marijuana was the most commonly detected drug, found in 54 percent of those arrested.

The study found similar results in four other cities: New York, Denver, Atlanta and Chicago. Among the cities, it included examinations of 1,736 urine samples and 1,938 interviews with men who were arrested.

Researchers found that marijuana was the most popular drug used by men who’d been arrested in all the cities, ranging from a low of 37 percent in Atlanta to a high of 58 percent in Chicago. Chicago also had the highest overall positive test results, with 86 percent of the men found to have at least one drug in their bloodstreams.

........................................................................................................................

Mental health issues linked to cannabis increase by half in four years

The number of cannabis users suffering serious mental or behaviour disorders has increased by half in just four years.

If you have the money you can get a private doctor to issue you with a private prescription for almost any drug you'd want to try, that's available in the BNF.

Including cannabis. Not in the form most people would want, but a plant extract nevertheless.

Or you could buy them over the counter in dozens of other countries.

But surely if a doctor prescribes a class A or B drug without recording it they are breaking the law and could be prosecuted and struck off the register if they get found out?

I know some NHS doctors prescribe cannabis for those who have been diagnosed with MS because that's permitted as far as I know.

No it isn't, because that will just cause increased use, increased abuse, more crime and more health problems which will cost us more in the long run than any tax it raises.

No it won't; legalisation will lower use, lower abuse, with less crime and fewer health problems.

Look - I can make unfounded claims too. :)

---

Here is something cut and paste to support my view. Obviously I've edited it and not supplied a source link, or any clue where it is from, because I know there are other points of view that don't agree with me, and I don't want anyone to read those. Enjoy.

“Stripping the gangs of their power and influence by removing a major source of income can only have positive effects”, said Niall Franklin, the executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), a worldwide organisation of police officers who support the legalisation of marijuana.

“Marijuana accounts for 60 per cent of all the money made from the illicit sale of drugs worldwide”, he said. “So removing billions of dollars from criminal enterprise is essential”.

No it won't; legalisation will lower use, lower abuse, with less crime and fewer health problems.

Look - I can make unfounded claims too. :)

---

Here is something cut and paste to support my view. Obviously I've edited it and not supplied a source link, or any clue where it is from, because I know there are other points of view that don't agree with me, and I don't want anyone to read those. Enjoy.

What an odd post and you don't need to supply a link, its take seconds to find the source and read the entire article.

You can make all the unfounded claims you like but it won't change the fact that legalisation will increase use and the associated problems caused by its use.

You can make all the unfounded claims you like but it won't change the fact that legalisation will increase use and the associated problems caused by its use.

You can make all the unfounded claims you like but it won't change the fact that legalisation will reduce crime and the associated problems caused by the trade being in the hands of criminals.

You can make all the unfounded claims you like but it won't change the fact that legalisation will reduce crime and the associated problems caused by the trade being in the hands of criminals.

How will the trade be removed from criminal gangs?

Who will grow and distribute the drug?

How much will it cost?

What will the criminal gangs turn to if they can't make money growing weed?

“85% of cheap cigarettes on sale in London are counterfeit.” 1

Illegal tobacco is easy to get hold of, so more kids are tempted to smoke.What are counterfeit cigarettes? Counterfeit (or fake) cigarettes are cigarettes that are made to look like the real thing but, in fact, are cheap imitations not made by genuine manufacturers – like cheap perfume sold at street markets in fake brand-name bottles and packaging. Tests carried out on these cigarettes have found that they have higher concentrations of toxic chemical than “legitimate” cigarettes. All cigarettes contain high levels of lead, cadmium, tar and carbon monoxide but the levels in fake cigarettes are even higher still. They can also contain ingredients not found in genuine products; dangerous heavy metals, rat droppings and tea leaves have all been found in tested fake tobacco.

According to a 2012 research study, 12% of smokers in London purchase illegal tobacco, but in Islington 37% of smokers use it. Also, in London 4% of all tobacco sales is illegal tobacco while in Islington this is 9%. Illegal or ‘cheap’ tobacco is either counterfeit (fake), bootlegged or smuggled in the UK without having duty paid. There are no significant differences among demographic groups of illegal tobacco buyers, but men (15%) use it more than women (9%). For smokers who buy illegal tobacco, between a quarter and a third of the tobacco they use is from illegal sources.

Counterfeit cigarettes are generally produced in factories in China and Eastern Europe and smuggled into the UK by the same criminal gangs who smuggle drugs. These gangs have links to low-level and organised crime, and sometimes terrorist organisations. The cigarettes are usually sold cheaply in street markets, under the counter in shops or pubs, from street hawkers or from a private address (a ‘fag house’). The gangs have no qualms about selling to children. There have even been reported cases of gangs selling these cigarettes to children from ice cream vans. Cheaper, illegal tobacco makes it easier for young people to smoke while causing even more harm.North of England Tackling Illicit Tobacco for Better Health programme

A gang of illegal street traders used to sell fake cigarettes in the Nag’s Head Shopping Centre but as a result of hard work by the police and Islington Council, the area has been cleaned up. Smokefree Islington will be supporting measures to ensure that the gangs don’t come back. Local people are entitled to go about their business without being harassed by criminal gangs.

If you would like to report the sale of fake cigarettes in Islington you can ring the Council’s Trading Standards Department in confidence on 020 7527 3198. Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or fill out the online secure information form.

And cheap legal supply of drugs will turn millions into lazy delinquents, and any tax money raised will be spent on supporting them. Do you really thing drug addicts make good employees able to support themselves.

Wait a minute.....a cheap supply of drugs? Tax payers money spent on supporting addicts??

Does your quote sound familiar??

Take out the legal part and you've got exactly the situation that we have today! Drugs are readily available and really cheap.

The only thing is, at the moment we are also spending billions on top of this, fighting a war that is impossible to win!

And to answer your question....no, I don't think an addict would make a good employee, why do you ask?

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 09:47 ----------

How will the trade be removed from criminal gangs?

Who will grow and distribute the drug?

How much will it cost?

What will the criminal gangs turn to if they can't make money growing weed?

How will the trade be removed from criminal gangs? How was alcohol removed from the gangs during the prohibition era?? It was made legal! Same thing will apply here!

Who will grow and distribute the drug? I will grow the drug and I will smoke my own supply.

How much will it cost? About £20 for a bag of female seeds. The quantity grown will be sufficient for a 12 month supply.

What will the criminal gangs turn to if they can't make money growing weed? That's a good question. Maybe you should try and answer that one?

Archived