Cars allowed in Liverpool Bus Lanes to ease congestion!

Nor is it efficient to have cars for hours sitting in traffic queues because the inner lane is closed off as a bus lane. Proven to be very lucrative for councils though.

Yes I can never see the attraction which is why I eschew motoring-just why do so many put themselves through this torpor?It happens even when there are no bus lanes.

How about selling the revenue rights to the AA or RAC?

But where there is a bus lane THERE IS an extra lane that only gets used for 1 vehicle every 10 minutes and the rest of the time remains unused.

Have you noticed how much the traffic gets backed up when they close a lane on the motorway? Can you imagine the chaos they could cause if the made one lane of the A1 into a bus lane?

Do you think that opening the bus lane to any and all road traffic will ease the congestion in Sheffield indefinitely. How long before its blocked with parked vehicles, even a short stop causes a major headache. It wont win the battle. There are too many bloody cars on the road and the number increases all the time. it doesn't help that your city has a laughable road system either mind.

What a pity that Sheffield council don't do the same. Unfortunately they lack the intelligence to realise that a traffic lane that gets one vehicle every 10 minutes whist the rest of the road is gridlocked isn't efficient use of the highway.

Dump the car and get on the bus then

If they are not doing anything about the bottlenecks I can't see it improving traffic flow. If enough bus passengers think 'If I'm going to get stuck in a traffic jam I might as well take the car' it might even create more congestion.

If they are not doing anything about the bottlenecks I can't see it improving traffic flow. If enough bus passengers think 'If I'm going to get stuck in a traffic jam I might as well take the car' it might even create more congestion.

Quite possibly - that was one thing in the article that hadn't crossed my mind. They won't be able to timetable buses as traffic conditions will dictate when they will arrive.

If you can't be fairly sure of getting a bus to get you to work on time then chances are you'll be another car on the road.

All around Sheffield. You could say pretty much the same about the tram tracks.

Not seen one, but good luck with using the tram tracks

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 14:03 ----------

If you can't be fairly sure of getting a bus to get you to work on time then chances are you'll be another car on the road.

Potentially another 50 on the road, but dont worry about it too much with no bus lanes there will be no traffic jams :huh:

Quite possibly - that was one thing in the article that hadn't crossed my mind. They won't be able to timetable buses as traffic conditions will dictate when they will arrive.

Bus lanes need to be in the right places and have a minimum usage per hour for them to stay open.

Most bus lanes are there just to meet government targets, like cycle lanes are. They are of no use to anyone except the people employed to paint lines and town planners who dream up these crazy schemes, whom then can justify their existence and receive bonuses for been anti-car.

Bus lanes need to be in the right places and have a minimum usage per hour for them to stay open.

Most bus lanes are there just to meet government targets, like cycle lanes are. They are of no use to anyone except the people employed to paint lines and town planners who dream up these crazy schemes, whom then can justify their existence and receive bonuses for been anti-car.

Whilst bus lanes need to be in the right places, their usage per hour is pretty much irrelevant to how they affect traffic flow. If a single lane can feed cars into a bottleneck at a greater rate than they can pass through that bottleneck it doesn't matter how many extra lanes you have feeding it. This is why the Liverpool experiment is doomed to failure if they are not doing anything about the bottlenecks.

Archived