Cars allowed in Liverpool Bus Lanes to ease congestion!

Bus lanes usually stop shortly before junctions to allow cars to use both lanes to get across - they don't always but that's probably because the real bottleneck is further along the road. Can you give an example of a bus lane being a bottleneck?

Ecclesall road south in parts are bottlenecks at peak times, especially the bus gates. Their very design is to trap cars so that buses can get through quicker.

Chesterfield road is another where the road design was changed to enable buses to get through long sections at peak times causing long queues for cars.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 09:32 ----------

Is it dark with your head stuck up there? Snob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anus

Did you know that someone has written gullible on your ceiling?

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 09:41 ----------

Thats no good. The question was WHERE this mythical bus lane was, not provide a list of bus lanes where we "may" at "some time" "possibly" find that a 10 min period will elapse without a single vehicle or cycle passing on the lane whilst there is a standard flow of traffic in the non-bus lane

The claim was made and as yet no proof has been produced.

I ask again, Where is this mythical bus lane?

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 19:16 ----------

Are all bottlenecks caused by bus lanes? What about bottlenecks that are NOT near bus lanes, what is the excuse for those?

Well I did enable you to find out yourself, but asking me when I didn't make the claim is rather pointless don't you think? I suggest that the 24 hour bus lanes/bus gates are the culprits. The 75 bus route does have times up until 5:30pm ish when these buses run every 10 minutes, so its no stretch to see that parts of this route could also be an example of what the OP was highlighting.

Bottlenecks that are not next to bus lanes are just congested roads and not really the point of what was discussed. A congested roads is busy thats all, but a read with a bus lane that is only used by one vehicle every few minutes is a massive waste of our limited road resource.

I waited 30 mins for a bus on Ecclesall Road South the other day.

As somebody who frequently uses the bus, and sometimes I will for the very reason that there are bus lanes, I have no problem with them in principle but ...

1. There are some unnecessary ones. The Ecclesall Road South from Knowle Lane being one of them. As well as being unnecessary it has also made the road more dangerous, and harder to cross. Turning a wide single lane road, in which most cars stick to the speed limit, into two narrow lanes has increased speeds and the amount of drivers I've observed overtaking at excessive speeds. There are also pinch points in the road, two lanes but only room for one vehicle.

2. If we are going to have bus lanes then they must be visibly policed. There's nothing more frustrating than waiting your turn in the queue and watching people abuse them.

3. Get rid of those silly stretches (a few yards) of bus lanes that simply create chaos.

4. Get rid of those silly stretches of no bus lanes, so that undertaking traffic can be technically legal at right turn junctions. They merely become a springboard for aggressive drivers to push ahead. The rules can be applied pragmatically to temporary use and undertaking.

5. Why do we allow taxis that do twice the miles for the same journey, so contribute to congestion, to use bus lanes? Why do we allow them to use bus lanes when the driver is dropping the kids off at school or going to the shops?

So yes to bus lanes, but with a bit more thought.

Bottlenecks that are not next to bus lanes are just congested roads and not really the point of what was discussed. A congested roads is busy thats all, but a read with a bus lane that is only used by one vehicle every few minutes is a massive waste of our limited road resource.

So if you removed the bus lane the bottleneck would be merely a congested road, or would it no longer be congested?

If a two lane road is reduced to a single lane road at a certain point that would surely be viewed as a bottleneck? If there is a bus lane it is still two lanes except one of the lanes has less traffic in it and therefore would allow the traffic in the non-bus lane to get in quicker than it would if both lanes wiere normal traffic.

On that basis it would imply that the bus lane is actually increasing traffic flow and reducing journey times

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 15:37 ----------

How is a bus lane different to a 2 lane road that has parking on it? Are you suggesting that ALL multilane roads have double yellow lines on them to stop the parking?

Ecclesall road south in parts are bottlenecks at peak times, especially the bus gates. Their very design is to trap cars so that buses can get through quicker.

Where do you think the bottlenecks are on Ecclesall Road South? There's the lights at the junction with Carterknowle Road with any cars wanting to turn right potentially holding up traffic but the bus lane ends about 50m before it for traffic carying on to avoid those queueing to turn right. There's the junction with Psalter Lane where the bus lane ends 125m before the split, allowing traffic to divide between those continuing down Ecclesall Road South and those going onto Psalter Lane, and it's single lane for those continuing down Eccesall Road South until past the pedestrian crossing. If there's a lot of traffic coming along Rustlings Road that might cause problems but that's because there is additional traffic. Finally there's Hunters Bar roundabout itself. The road splits into three lanes there with two lanes for cars - again with room for the cars to get into their preferred lane.

Chesterfield road is another where the road design was changed to enable buses to get through long sections at peak times causing long queues for cars.

Again, where do you think the bottlenecks are? There are a number of places on Chesterfield Road and London Road South that only have room for a single lane. It doesn't matter how many lanes you have approaching those points you can only get one lane's worth of traffic through.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 16:08 ----------

So if you removed the bus lane the bottleneck would be merely a congested road, or would it no longer be congested?

If a two lane road is reduced to a single lane road at a certain point that would surely be viewed as a bottleneck? If there is a bus lane it is still two lanes except one of the lanes has less traffic in it and therefore would allow the traffic in the non-bus lane to get in quicker than it would if both lanes wiere normal traffic.

On that basis it would imply that the bus lane is actually increasing traffic flow and reducing journey times

It's the same with a two lane road that approaches a bottleneck, say a traffic light controlled junction, where the bus lane ends shortly before the bottleneck. If one lane can feed cars into the two lanes at the junction faster that they can exit the junction having one of the lanes as a bus lane means you just have one lane for cars that moves relatively quickly instead of two lanes that move more slowly. Devoting one lane to something that will encourage people out of their cars will reduce the amount of traffic that has to pass through the bottleneck speeding things up even for those who stay in their cars.

Did you know that someone has written gullible on your ceiling?

Well I have only heard, seen or said that statement about 300 times. Thing is the other 299 were understandable as they were in context. Please explain. Also I was not replying to you unless you have more than one account that is.

Only the last one specifically mentions bus lanes as causing congestion, the third one is a traffic light and the first 2 are merley specualtion

As I said, are all gridlocks caused by bus lanes? No, simples

No you're wrong, read again, they all quote bus lanes are adding to congestion for various reasons.

Remember back in 2004 when Sheffield buses was on strike and how traffic flowed throughout the city?

The thing with Liverpool is it doesn't have that many bus lanes, certainly not long stretches like you have on Chesterfield Road.

There are what you'd probably class as "bus gates" right in the centre near Lime Street station, which forces regular traffic on a big round detour which end up forcing local traffic onto the main through routes.

It doesn't help that the main routes through to the tunnel and to the Wirral and M53 go right through town, and these are the most congested areas at rush hour because of the tunnel's natural bottlenecks (roundabouts and tolls and restricted speed and lanes)

Archived