Switching Fuel companies

Can anyone give any advice on the best companies to switch with, or best comparison sites, and your experiences and money saved. I have been trying to get through to so many companies rather than the internet to talk to someone, about certain plans its throwing up...and its been up to an hour wait to most of them !

Thanks

Can anyone give any advice on the best companies to switch with, or best comparison sites, and your experiences and money saved. I have been trying to get through to so many companies rather than the internet to talk to someone, about certain plans its throwing up...and its been up to an hour wait to most of them !

Thanks

Uswitch.

Takes a couple of minutes.

Try Ovo. I've been with all the big co's and have been messed about, spent hours on the phone etc. Ovo aren't putting up their prices at the mo, they ring you if you're not on the best deal to give you the best option, pay 3% interest when you're in credit, and all their operatives are UK based and have English as their first language. They're not always the cheapest ( as no company is always the cheapest) but they're competitive, fair and easy to deal with in my experience.

IMHO you are wasting your time. All of them follow suit. I'm with npower and they just announced more greedy profits. Unless you go on a fixed rate tariff it's not worth it.

We swap on a regular basis. Used USwitch on the weekend and are now with someone called 'First Utility' - saving over £200 a year and fixed until May 2015. Will cost £30 per fuel if we wish to exit before the end of the period.

Took about ten minutes to switch but will take about four weeks before we are actually with the new supplier.

Some people are under the impression that because you are on a fixed tariff, their bill wouldn't increase. :rolleyes:

It doesn't work like that. Although the fixed/capped price remains the same for the fixed amount of years, your monthly payment will increase as a result of your consumption. Ie if it is colder one month than another, or one year than another, then your monthly dd payment will increase due to consumption, not unit price increase.

They start by calculating your average annual use which is how you get your monthly dd. However, dependent on the use throughout the year, this will change, so it has nothing to so with the unit price.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 20:58 ----------

Changing to a fixed tariff doesn't necessarily mean cheaper now. Beware of those tariffs that are fixed way ahead to 2017. They may appear cheaper in the long run, but aren't in the short run.

Also, if you are on a fixed rate, you've had it if prices fall.

Some people are under the impression that because you are on a fixed tariff, their bill wouldn't increase. :rolleyes:

It doesn't work like that. Although the fixed/capped price remains the same for the fixed amount of years, your monthly payment will increase as a result of your consumption. Ie if it is colder one month than another, or one year than another, then your monthly dd payment will increase due to consumption, not unit price increase.

They start by calculating your average annual use which is how you get your monthly dd. However, dependent on the use throughout the year, this will change, so it has nothing to so with the unit price.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 20:58 ----------

Changing to a fixed tariff doesn't necessarily mean cheaper now. Beware of those tariffs that are fixed way ahead to 2017. They may appear cheaper in the long run, but aren't in the short run.

Also, if you are on a fixed rate, you've had it if prices fall.

With a fixed price you're not hit by a double whammy...more usage and higher prices through the fixed period....prices going down.. :D I thought all energy companies were greedy capitalist pigs :D .. My rate is fixed but I can bale out whenever I want without cost...

IMHO you are wasting your time. All of them follow suit. I'm with npower and they just announced more greedy profits. Unless you go on a fixed rate tariff it's not worth it.

Beat me to it.

It's the same everytime they put the prices up. Experts interviewed on tv spouting the same crap..Switch to this,switch to that.

Don't the general public ever learn? The energy companies all DO THE SAME!!

Beat me to it.

It's the same everytime they put the prices up. Experts interviewed on tv spouting the same crap..Switch to this,switch to that.

Don't the general public ever learn? The energy companies all DO THE SAME!!

They don't.

There are some real savings to be had at the moment.

Archived