'Dispatches.' Channel 4. 8.0pm Mon 21st Oct

We are the most indebted nation in the EU.

Are you sure? In what way? Government debt seems to be lower than France or Italy & there are several smaller countries with higher debt to GDP ratios.

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=ds22a34krhq5p_&ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=gd_pc_gdp&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country_group&idim=country_group:eu&idim=country:uk:pt:el:fr:be:ie:it&ifdim=country_group&ind=false

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Hairy, my dear old chap, in a nutshell, when you have tory policies you get balanced budgets, they have always balanced the budget, Blair and Brown balanced the budget whilst they used tory policies. Its when the reds get the cheque book everything goes lary.

When was the last time a Tory government balanced the budget? 40 years ago? 50?...

It was 1988 & 89, more recent than I thought, only 24 years ago, but only after borrowing huge amounts for most of the decade previous to that & most of the next decade, is that the only time they managed it since the war?

I think Labour have balanced more budgets in recent history.

The most despicable character that ever appeared on The Apprentice a few years ago. She is now a social columnist ranting about everything & anything, she's even appeared on Question Time.

You think me despicable? I am only here to enlighten the blind, educate the ignorant, invigorate the idle, Mott the Hoople and incite the mob.

I am not the lady you envision me as, (except on Saturdays).

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 08:40 ----------

Are you sure? In what way? Government debt seems to be lower than France or Italy & there are several smaller countries with higher debt to GDP ratios.

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=ds22a34krhq5p_&ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=gd_pc_gdp&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country_group&idim=country_group:eu&idim=country:uk:pt:el:fr:be:ie:it&ifdim=country_group&ind=false

When was the last time a Tory government balanced the budget? 40 years ago? 50?...

It was 1988 & 89, more recent than I thought, only 24 years ago, but only after borrowing huge amounts for most of the decade previous to that & most of the next decade, is that the only time they managed it since the war?

Labour inherited a balanced budget in 1997, as they did in 1963. The only time they did not was when Heath left power and handed over to Wilson. If you read the history of the time you will understand why. No Tory government has ever taken power from Labour with the economy in good order. They have always had to clear the mess up.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 08:41 ----------

Labour inherited a balanced budget in 1997, as they did in 1963. The only time they did not was when Heath left power and handed over to Wilson. If you read the history of the time you will understand why. No Tory government has ever taken power from Labour with the economy in good order. They have always had to clear the mess up.

Please do not ask me to justify the above, I have done so on this forum numerous times. If you disagree check the history.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 08:42 ----------

If anyone is wondering just why Royal Mail workers have voted to strike, this programme showed you why.

We don't want to end up like the workers on there, getting shafted by their employers in the name of shareholder profits.

You speak for yourself, if I was a Royal mail worker I would consider I had done quite well thank you.

I have a zero hours contract, its great, I work when I want.

A minimum wage, zero hours contract, when you work when someone else wants, not when you want. Making it nearly impossible to budget and due to the delay with signing on and off making it nearly impossible to claim benefits when zero hours means just that.

A minimum wage, zero hours contract, when you work when someone else wants, not when you want. Making it nearly impossible to budget and due to the delay with signing on and off making it nearly impossible to claim benefits when zero hours means just that.

Doesn't suit some, but its suits many including me. My contract states that I work when the company needs me and when I am available.

If others sign contracts that require them to sit at home waiting for the call then they should not have agreed to it in the first place. They should seek a variance.

Remember that this flexibility is perceived by investors as being a major reason for investing in the UK, it is one of the reasons we have more people working than ever before, that manufacturing is on the up as well as the services sector being very buoyant.

Doesn't suit some, but its suits many including me. My contract states that I work when the company needs me and when I am available.

If others sign contracts that require them to sit at home waiting for the call then they should not have agreed to it in the first place. They should seek a variance.

Remember that this flexibility is perceived by investors as being a major reason for investing in the UK, it is one of the reasons we have more people working than ever before, that manufacturing is on the up as well as the services sector being very buoyant.

It is impossible to get a mortgage with a zero hour contract.

You don't claim benefits for when you are effectively unemployed then?

Or you find that the system actually works for you?

Do you not find it difficult to budget as well, with the uncertainty of your income?

I'm genuinely interested btw, not trying to pick fault. Are you perhaps in an unusual position, retired for example or for some other reason not dependent on the income from the job?

Probably. Or they should use a mobile phone. Do any zero hours contracts work like that though?

Working zero hours sounds like a government created oxymoron.

It is impossible to get a mortgage with a zero hour contract.

I don't need a mortgage, I own several properties, here and abroad.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 17:42 ----------

You think wrong, Attlee left the country skint, so Wilson/Callaghan, so did Blair Brown.

Churchill left the country skint but that was due to the second world war, Macmiilan Hume/Solvent Heath/solvent (just but was fighting Russian backed Labour party and unions) Thatcher/Major country never richer in 20th century.

Don't argue look it up.

Archived