'Dispatches.' Channel 4. 8.0pm Mon 21st Oct

One of us doesn't understand here. What do you mean the level I seem to be able to cope with. I don't have a zero hours contract, it's not a problem that affects me, it's just one that I can recognise would affect some people.

Surely there's little point in talking about anything if there is no common intersection about which we can discuss the issue.

In this case though, it's not the lowest common denominator, it's the MOST common one. You are in an unusual position, it's more important to talk about the more common situation and whether the issue (in this case zero hour contracts) are a problem for the majority of people affected.

There are less people on zero hour contracts now than there were in 2002. Many of us like the flexibility it gives us. Why are you and others so exercised about it now?

Is it because there is a Tory government in power? Is it that you were prepared to accept the situation under the divine Blair but now feel you have found a stick to beat Cameron with? Is this the intersection you mention?

I do not believe my situation to be that unusual, I believe I represent the silent majority who are actually quite happy with our lot, it has always been the case that the disaffected make the most noise and consequently give the impression that their opinion is the majority.

I don't think it is, and I think the criticism is to do with tory baiting rather than a real issue.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 13:40 ----------

What makes you say that?

I am an "ordinary" person, I know other ordinary people like me and who share my attitudes and opinions.

You and others on this thread clearly feel you are also "ordinary" people, however your point of view is different to mine.

You give the impression that you speak for a downtrodden majority being manipulated and abused by an elite.

You do not, you speak for a vocal, envious, underachieving bleaters who would be happier if they tried to excel rather than pull everyone down to a level they feel capable of dealing with.

There are less people on zero hour contracts now than there were in 2002. Many of us like the flexibility it gives us. Why are you and others so exercised about it now?

Is it because there is a Tory government in power? Is it that you were prepared to accept the situation under the divine Blair but now feel you have found a stick to beat Cameron with? Is this the intersection you mention?

I do not believe my situation to be that unusual, I believe I represent the silent majority who are actually quite happy with our lot, it has always been the case that the disaffected make the most noise and consequently give the impression that their opinion is the majority.

I don't think it is, and I think the criticism is to do with tory baiting rather than a real issue.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 13:40 ----------

I am an "ordinary" person, I know other ordinary people like me and who share my attitudes and opinions.

You and others on this thread clearly feel you are also "ordinary" people, however your point of view is different to mine.

You give the impression that you speak for a downtrodden majority being manipulated and abused by an elite.

You do not, you speak for a vocal, envious, underachieving bleaters who would be happier if they tried to excel rather than pull everyone down to a level they feel capable of dealing with.

I've changed my mind, you're not Katie Hopkins, you're that there Jeremy Clarkson.

I've changed my mind, you're not Katie Hopkins, you're that there Jeremy Clarkson.

That's really sad, you have raised sensible challenging questions which I have tried to address. I realize that I am a bit straightforward but that's an attempt to liven the debate.

Now because you realize the wisdom, sense and rightness of my cause, find my argument unassailable you revert to abuse. What a shame, I had such high hopes of you.

PS Incredible as it may seem some people find me a bit patronizing. Amazing.

No, I'm not a fan of labour or conservative, so I'm equally happy to criticise both.

I'm not making a noise about "my lot", if I were only interested in myself then "I'd be doing all right Jack".

I don't agree though that you represent the majority at all. The vast majority of people cannot survive without a regular income from work and/or benefits, you are quite clearly in a minority but are refusing to admit it.

Your situation is re:income is far from the norm.

I don't think that's the case at all, critcising zero hours contracts because of the lack of certainty of income and the way they interact with the benefits system is not making excuses for underachievers.

Are you claiming this didnt happen under the previous Labour Government , or are you just claiming everything is the fault of those oh so nasty Tories . ? :roll:

As I've said many times, this is beyond party politics. Both sides are as bad as each other, and both have their hands in the pockets of big business. As long as they're alright they couldn't care less about the working man except as a cash cow.

The 1% against the 99% in action.

Anyone could get a mortgage in 2000, Blair and Brown would never turn you down.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 18:07 ----------

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have never claimed benefits. I have never needed to, I would if I had to. I do not have dependents and have savings.

I feel that the downside of zero hours contracts is exaggerated, it is certainly better than being out of work, also, I don't think there are more zero hours jobs than there wer 10 years ago, I cant see what all the fuss is about.

Regarding my place of work, we are all on zero hours contracts, some have other jobs and seem to manage quite well. I for instance do volountary work.

I hope I have answered your questions.

i thought security guards were on 60 hours plus :huh:

Archived