What food did families eat in WW1?

embo

Thanks you for your replies i am asking for a friend who is the local landlady and wanting to do a themed meal/day around Remembrance Day.

Basically a big stew, bread & lard then for main meal?

Anyone know what deserts they may have had?

Thank you all for your help

Thanks you for your replies i am asking for a friend who is the local landlady and wanting to do a themed meal/day around Remembrance Day.

Angel delight I think

Lots of offal, in those days, the old ladies used to say there was no part of a pig you could not eat. Bag, Chitilns, tripe.

Sheeps heads would be the base of a stew. (they used to say leave the eyes in it will see you through the week,).

Bread and dripping, bread and lard. Cheese was usually available.

Bread and lard with sugar on.

Anything filling and cheap such Yorkshire pud use pure lard Not dripping sugar on top maybe a spoon of jam,boiled batter almost the same boiled in a bowl with cloth on top served with butter and sugar,and the old steam pud such as spoted dick ,apple pie and custard very cheap if u skrumed the apples:D:D

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 17:30 ----------

Anything filling and cheap such Yorkshire pud use pure lard Not dripping sugar on top maybe a spoon of jam,boiled batter almost the same boiled in a bowl with cloth on top served with butter and sugar,and the old steam pud such as spoted dick ,apple pie and custard very cheap if u skrumed the apples:D:D
PS

Don't believe all you read most eat very well BBC programs like victorian farm can be got online yes the food was very simple with little meat and lots of veg and there was always a milk(rice)pud in the oven the storys of lard and dripping was only for the kids at breakfast with always a dinner on the table at noon:|:|

My Grandma's favourite saying when we asked her what was for pudding was "two runs around the table and a bite at cellar door".

Puddings:

My grandma would do rice / milk pudding in the oven.

Yorkshire pudding with a spoonful of treacle.

Baked egg custard.

Her ancestors were bakers/confectioners. She made wicked brandy snaps.

Scones

Seed (caraway) cake. Yuk!

Rabbits:

My other grandparents came from a family who all dealt with rabbits either for food or skin.

Archived