Taxi's and CPC Licence

Can some kind taxi driver please explain to me, why they don't have to get the new CPC licence?

All professional drivers, be it bus, hgv, van etc have to undergo the new CPC course, i have done mine, as have all bus drivers lorry drivers etc, but have been told that taxi's are exempt from this.

I cannot understand why.

When i completed my course, it was the instructor that told me that taxi's are exempt from this, surely ALL professional drivers under the law have to take it, so why have taxi's got away with it??????

Not the case, any professional driver. My bosses son drives wedding cars, and he has just had to complete the CPC

Was iot a requirement or did he just want to do it?

The government website says

"You must get the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) initial qualification if you’re new to professional driving and want to drive a lorry, bus or coach."

No mention of wedding cars or anything other than "lorry,bus or coach"

https://www.gov.uk/driver-certificate-of-professional-competence-cpc

Taxis are on the list for CPC training .... at some time in the future ... according to a review of the CPC to-date that I read recently.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 20:07 ----------

Maybe it's because they'll all fail :hihi: :hihi:

There is only one way a driver can fail a CPC course, I believe, and that's by not completing.

The value of such courses within a CPC process needs to be reviewed very critically in my view. A driver could currently sit through the same 7-hour classroom course 5 times in a week and "complete".

Until they sort that out, there's little point in extending the range of professional drivers affected by CPC.

Without wishing to sound harsh, this is the OP's second thread this week specifically regarding taxi drivers. I can understand not liking them much as I'm sure most bus drivers aren't taxi fans, but can we expect more taxi threads I wonder?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Without wishing to sound harsh, this is the OP's second thread this week specifically regarding taxi drivers. I can understand not liking them much as I'm sure most bus drivers aren't taxi fans, but can we expect more taxi threads I wonder?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Not at all, just wondering why this profession does not have to undertake the CPC licence, now been explained to me, so now ended on my part.

I genuinely did not know why they are exempt, but now do, so my mind now at rest.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 13:47 ----------

Taxis are on the list for CPC training .... at some time in the future ... according to a review of the CPC to-date that I read recently.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 20:07 ----------

There is only one way a driver can fail a CPC course, I believe, and that's by not completing.

The value of such courses within a CPC process needs to be reviewed very critically in my view. A driver could currently sit through the same 7-hour classroom course 5 times in a week and "complete".

Until they sort that out, there's little point in extending the range of professional drivers affected by CPC.

This is true, i did 2 of the same courses within a month, and a different one a week later, giving me the 5 i needed.

Also..... I completed my cpc in may of last year, meaning i had my card until 2017. But my employees sent me on 5 more courses this year, which means i was sent another card, and this one is dated 2022, so i have the CPC qualification until the year 2022.

Surely this is against what it set out. Originally it was supposed to be so drivers took a course once a year, to say refresh, but i've done 10 courses in 12 months, which means i can't by dvla rules take another until 2017, doesn't seem right to me

Archived