Power company summoned before MPs

Does anyone else think this is a gimmick to try and appease public opinion? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24626578 I can't see power companies doing anything to help the public because they are private companies and exist soley for massive profit. Maybe they'll try and buy the MPs off with a few sweeteners? Maybe the treasury will subsidise the power companies? Thoughts?

Don't a bunch of MP's serve as non-executive board members and stuff on alot of big corporations?

The meeting is probably to congratulate everyone on another year of whopping profit.

Do you know that for sure or are you making it up? Tim Yeo used to be on the climate change committee while he was also working for renewable energy companies.. I think he's stood down from the committee now..

Don't a bunch of MP's serve as non-executive board members and stuff on alot of big corporations?

The meeting is probably to congratulate everyone on another year of whopping profit.

Yes, and yes.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 16:25 ----------

I think what they'll do is send some mid level exec with a coded message that roughly translates into "shove your committee up your arse we'll charge what we like".

Exactly.

Mind you I love watching Margaret Hodge in action, she's an absolute Rottweiler. But nothing ever comes of these enquiries.

andcwhat can a bunch of scrounging MPs do to tye big 6 energy companies??, yup, nothing in the slightest, what the MPs dont tell you tho but 10% of the bill is caused by government costs imposed under the green banner!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Does anyone else think this is a gimmick to try and appease public opinion? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24626578 I can't see power companies doing anything to help the public because they are private companies and exist soley for massive profit. Maybe they'll try and buy the MPs off with a few sweeteners? Maybe the treasury will subsidise the power companies? Thoughts?

it is all part of a big scam, wack the prices up now and then wait until Shale Fracking comes on line and drop the price 2%.

Stupid people will think ooh that's nice whilst forgetting that the same fat cats who made a packet out of North Sea Gas & Oil are at it again only to find that prices will then continue to rise as they did when North Sea Gas & Oil was flowing.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 16:56 ----------

Hasn't anyone noticed who will be the big players in the proposed Nuclear power stations are.

Someone on this forum disputed the vast profits made by the energy companies, so the question to ask is, if that really is the case why are the Chinese and French so keen to keen to put a massive stake in?

Archived