Tumble driers do they give out much heat?

Most launderettes permit 'drying-only' customers, subject to precedence for 'wash-and-dry' customers.

So maybe you won't need a dryer after all.

There actually is a laundrette just up the road, how much does it cost roughly to dry a load of washing at the laundrette? Would it be cheaper than paying for the electricity to dry said clothes in a tumble dryer at home? I generally only do one medium sized load of washing a week, apart from bedclothes. I might be able to persuade my parents to buy me a tumble drier for Christmas :hihi: but I still have to think of the running costs.

Washer dryers may not be as good as standalone tumble dryers, but they aren't all rubbish. Mine has a dry capacity of 6kg, which is as much as many washing machines hold for a wash, and this one has been working fine for 4 years. My previous one lasted for 15 years before finally popping its clogs.

We don't have space for a separate dryer

Same here (I snipped the bit that isn't relevant to me -- no offence). Our previous washer-dryer lasted about 12 years. It died last summer (control module, too expensive to justify repair) and we got an AEG (not cheap but with a 5-year guarantee & it's good).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw

Most launderettes permit 'drying-only' customers, subject to precedence for 'wash-and-dry' customers.

So maybe you won't need a dryer after all.

There actually is a laundrette just up the road, how much does it cost roughly to dry a load of washing at the laundrette? Would it be cheaper than paying for the electricity to dry said clothes in a tumble dryer at home? I generally only do one medium sized load of washing a week, apart from bedclothes. I might be able to persuade my parents to buy me a tumble drier for Christmas but I still have to think of the running costs.

With 4 kids I do A LOT of washing a week, and I always had to dry clothes on the radiators really quickly to get the next load on to dry - this involved a lot of gas use! I got a dryer a few months ago and its been a god send. Its definitely cheaper (for me) than using the heating, and to be honest I havent noticed much of a difference in electricity usage, its an A rated dryer though so is meant to be quite 'cheap' to run. I got it for £12.50 from ebay as faulty as well, and only 6 months old. Apparently it made a loud squeaking noise when turning, which i decided it didnt care about as it would be in the outhouse - that squeak stopped after a few uses and I had myself a real bargain :D

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

We have a condensing tumble dryer, in a utility room, along with the washing machine and a freezer. As it is a condensing type it can use a drain to discharge into - we use the same drain as for the washing machine. (Although if we didn't have a drain available we could just empty a small container after each drying load).

We don't need to have a discharge air hose to outside, and the room is as dry as a bone.

The room is quite small, though, and it does get very warm. Our current dryer is a Beko (about £200 IIRC, from Currys). It replaced an old Creda (I think). It seems to give out more heat into the room than the old one, as it now seems hotter in there than I remember. It's dry heat though, so no damp issues. This probably means that the freezer in the same room is having to work harder when we are tumble drying.

I've always had a washer/dryer, but that was because i've lived in rented flats for the last 13 years, so can't live without one now! Bought one for my own house now.

The one in the flat was a smeg & was really good. But i had to settle for a hotpoint for my house as a smeg was too expensive. Only difference that i really notice is that the hotpoint one creases clothes more so i have to iron everything now :( & that it doesnt have a five minute "cool" before the door unlocks so i get a face full of steam if im not careful.

Not much heat escapes, & it drains into the pipe that leads under the sink.

Does the job i want it to & being a single person with no kids it dries everything in one wash load straight after washing.

I'll always have a washer/dryer. I'd never dry wet clothes indoors. Fixing damp problems is more expensive than running a dryer for 40mins twice a week!

Archived