Bad experience with the RAC

I'd recommend Green Flag.

Had the unfortunate experience of owning a landrover freelander that had a bad habit of breaking down on almost every camping trip towing the caravan.

Never had to wait more than an hour.

They always transported car and caravan to my prebooked campsite ....and when the weekend break was over they transported both back home.

I saved a fortune in diesel, lol.

I now have a reliable car....but I'm happy to pay the 69 quid just incase.

Only time I've ever come across RAC is when a friends vehicle had broken down, there within 20/30 minutes. Drove us and the vehicle to where we needed to be.

Put it down to a bad/rare experience.

Clearly 4 hours isn't acceptable, but I'm sure there were extenuating reasons behind it.

I once had to wait two days for the AA. It was during a period of severe weather mind you and my car was in the work car park so I was safe and able to get the bus home.

They all have their busy periods and I'm sure they were doing their best to get to you. I know it's annoying but changing companies won't get you a quicker response.

I think the AA and RAC are the best as they are the only ones who have their own patrols. All the others will dispatch a local garage to assist - obviously it is in the garage's interest to say that the fault cannot be fixed at the roadside and offer to tow you to the garage.

Ive had to call RAC a couple of times using the Motability line. First time the guy called me 5min after I'd called them to say he was behind me hahaha. the 2nd time I broke down at the top of my road and they turned up after 20min.

I can't fault them as they always been friendly and also taken me home when ever I broke down

I've used AA and RAC over the years, had good service from both and never had to wait more than an hour.

My only complaint would be with RAC when my Cavalier broke down on Gleadless Rd, the distributor cap had cracked and he insisted we went to Turrets for a new one and not Halfords, cost a fortune!

AA have been amazing every time I have needed them (a lot!) and never had to wait too long. They do have to prioritise of course, for instance we broke down on the M1 with small kids so were high priority but other times I have been at home/ car park alone- still never taken long though.

My car breakdown is included in my insurance, broke down a couple of weeks ago and the truck pulled up behind me while I was still on the phone to them! Excellent, from breaking down to being on my way was less than ten minutes, right time and right place as he had just finished his last call in the next street to me, iv also had to wait 2 - 3 hours in past, it's just how it goes, they ain't sittin at end of your street in case you call and I doubt they made you wait for no good reason, perhaps they were busy with a few of their other thousands of members!

Archived