'Redrobbo' Cllr. John Robson has passed away

I never met John. My loss.

I never had him as my local councillor. Again my loss.

I only knew him on this forum where his contributions were always welcome. Some of his stories were to be found in the Writers' Group and I suppose that was where our paths crossed

his thread about his cancer was one of the most inspirational threads I've ever come across.

I shall miss him.

Sheffield Star:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tributes-after-loss-of-sheffield-council-stalwart-1-6175837

Tributes after loss of Sheffield council stalwart Coun John Robson.

Published on the 24 October 2013

A ‘dedicated’ Sheffield councillor has lost a two-year fight against cancer - the killer illness he thought he had beaten.

Coun John Robson, who represented Arbourthorne for the last 10 years and was a former chairman of the city’s licensing board, became unwell again around six weeks ago.

Coun Robson, aged 65, a former social worker, had been diagnosed with cancer affecting his tonsils about two years ago but initially recovered - before it recurred throughout his body.

In the last few weeks he had gone to stay with his civil partner, John Smith, in Hull, where he died in the early hours of yesterday.

The pair had their civil partnership ceremony at Sheffield Town Hall in 2009.

Coun Julie Dore, Sheffield Council leader and ward colleague, said: “John worked tirelessly for the local community and achieved many great things for the area.

“John was liked and respected across the council and will be remembered with a smile by everyone.”

Fellow Arbourthorne councillor Jack Scott added: “He was well known for his hard work and dedication.”

And Heeley MP Meg Munn said: “He loved serving the people of Arbourthorne, whether tackling local problems or putting on the Santa suit at Christmas.”

Opposition leader Coun Shaffaq Mohammed said he was ‘devastated’ by the news of Coun Robson’s death.

Liz Donaghy, vice chair of Sheffield Labour Party, said she had been about to present him with a certificate marking 50 years of party membership.

“It’s a big shock,” she said.

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me, but for those that don’t I’m redrobbo’s son.

I have not posted or visited the forum for several years, and I don’t intend to post again, but after seeing this thread I had a couple of things I wanted to say and a request to make if I may please:

Firstly, it is genuinely heart-warming beyond words to read all these kind messages about my dad, to see how many people’s lives he touched and just how much he meant to them. Thank you. I always knew how great a man he was, I fear he never realised how much he was loved and by how many, but hopefully he’s reading this thread now so he can see for himself.

Secondly, for those wondering about how he died, I’m not going to go into details except to assure his friends that he wasn’t in pain, it was all over quite quickly, and his partner John was with him throughout. My deepest gratitude goes to John for that fact. Dad didn’t get much warning, but he knew he didn’t have long, so he made the most of the time he had left and he’s left a great many of us with an extra little top up of memories I’m sure we’ll all treasure. I also understand that Liz Donaghy who is mentioned in the newspaper article had spoken to my dad and told him he had been awarded the achievement certificate from the Labour party, I know learning that would have made him very, very happy and I’m so glad he knew about it before he went.

My request: if anyone out there happens to have any photos or videos of my dad that you think I and the rest of the family might like, however recent or old they may be, perhaps you could post something in this thread and I’ll PM you an email address you can contact me on. I’m not activating my account to receive PMs but I should be able to send them.

That’s all from me, but as I sign off here are some words from my dad: in his final moments, my dad said he wanted all his friends and family to know that he loved them all, very, very much. This means each and every one of you, I’m certain.

Thanks all,

Steve

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me, but for those that don’t I’m redrobbo’s son.

I have not posted or visited the forum for several years, and I don’t intend to post again, but after seeing this thread I had a couple of things I wanted to say and a request to make if I may please:

Firstly, it is genuinely heart-warming beyond words to read all these kind messages about my dad, to see how many people’s lives he touched and just how much he meant to them. Thank you. I always knew how great a man he was, I fear he never realised how much he was loved and by how many, but hopefully he’s reading this thread now so he can see for himself.

Secondly, for those wondering about how he died, I’m not going to go into details except to assure his friends that he wasn’t in pain, it was all over quite quickly, and his partner John was with him throughout. My deepest gratitude goes to John for that fact. Dad didn’t get much warning, but he knew he didn’t have long, so he made the most of the time he had left and he’s left a great many of us with an extra little top up of memories I’m sure we’ll all treasure. I also understand that Liz Donaghy who is mentioned in the newspaper article had spoken to my dad and told him he had been awarded the achievement certificate from the Labour party, I know learning that would have made him very, very happy and I’m so glad he knew about it before he went.

My request: if anyone out there happens to have any photos or videos of my dad that you think I and the rest of the family might like, however recent or old they may be, perhaps you could post something in this thread and I’ll PM you an email address you can contact me on. I’m not activating my account to receive PMs but I should be able to send them.

That’s all from me, but as I sign off here are some words from my dad: in his final moments, my dad said he wanted all his friends and family to know that he loved them all, very, very much. This means each and every one of you, I’m certain.

Thanks all,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I remember you well, although I am sad this reunion couldn't have been in better circumstances.

I never met your dad, however, I often followed his posts and communicated with him, especially in the early days of the forum. He was one of life's good guys.

Please accept my condolences. My thoughts are with you and your family right now.

AO