Score one for Unite

So they all decided, off their own back, to vote themselves out of a job?

They are stupid then.

Not necessarily. They will get redundancy money. And they wont have to put up with a hostile employer any more. The country still needs petrochemicals.

I'd say that we are watching a massive game of call my bluff.

Now't better than another Union bashing thread for some mel lad.

Well when the union set themselves up for it like this it's an easy, anda reasonable target to go for. Unite told an entire workforce to vote themselves out of a job after the plant owners told them they'd shut down. They did so - and the plant is being closed. Unite are pillocks of the first order.

Not necessarily. They will get redundancy money. And they wont have to put up with a hostile employer any more. The country still needs petrochemicals.

I'd say that we are watching a massive game of call my bluff.

Miners got a big pay out too 20 years, and we still need coal. Go to some former pit villages and tell me how happy they've been since. Fuel will be refined elsewhere and shipped in. The workers will lose.

I think you've got the last line right though. It's like the 80s all over again, only on a smaller scale.

Unite said that, but their jobs weren't at risk. Now according to BBC, there is 'no prospect' of Ineos returning to negotiation.

To be fair to Ineos though, in this climate...a pay freeze wasn't exactcly the worst possible proposition.

And lets remember it was a completely seperate issue started by the union that infuriated the company bosses...(something to do with a union rep)

What would it achieve? For a future independent Scotland it would achieve security of refined petroleum products for a country already rich in the raw inputs needed to make the refined products.

From a national security point of view (for Scotland) it's a no-brainer. They would need that kind of infrastructure of their own. Obviously as you state they'd need to revise the cost structure.

And would a Nationalised industry manage to do this?

My mother was a union rep for years with COHSE, and later with UNITE when they merged. She did not have very good things to say about the leadership or higher ups of UNITE, they were more concerned with putting out fancy brochures with pictures of Pandas on the front than they were helping out their lowly dues paying members. Not to mention their swanky office in central London.

I think you're describing one of the main issues with unions today, and it's something that has weasaled into many organisations that should know better including charities. And that is the focus on corporate identities, branding and organisational structures that mimic corporations in the private sector. An obsession with over- rewarding senior staff, spending too much on logos etc... It doesn't give them strength but opens them up to attacks and ridicule.

Back to basics I say.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 08:20 ----------

And would a Nationalised industry manage to do this?

Why not? We know that we're poor at it in the UK but a newly independent Scotland would probably have a better go at it.

They wouldn't be looking at London for blueprints anyway, but across the North Sea to Scandinavian countries. Scotland wouldn't want to be like England ;) and who could blame them.

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 08:22 ----------

Yea sorry about that, the other thread was started about the company and moving it's HQ - I wasn't following it.

Then it moved onto this recent news piece.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 22:56 ----------

Yes but the refinery is outdated and inefficient anyway, whoever does take it on will need to plow a ton of money into it for upgrades and refurbishment - cos it can't really compete on the global market in it's current state.

Ripe for investment then. Perfectly reasonable for countries to borrow to build and protrct national infrastructure

(something to do with a union rep)

The problem was a UNITE official who works for the Labour Party yet continues to draw a salary at the refinery.

Seems like the refinery didn't like paying someone a full wage when they were pushing paper at the Labour party offices.

If someone told you how to vote would you?

I know I don't.

People are naturally resistant to being told what to do, they aren't sheep and there is a good streak of cussedness and contrariness in lots of people. Don't imagine everybody is a sheep.

97% of the workforce did what they were told, so what do you say about that??

This is the same workforce that were told if they didn't accept they'd loose their jobs - so quite clearly they DID do what they were told.

The problem was a UNITE official who works for the Labour Party yet continues to draw a salary at the refinery.

Seems like the refinery didn't like paying someone a full wage when they were pushing paper at the Labour party offices.

97% of the workforce did what they were told, so what do you say about that??

This is the same workforce that were told if they didn't accept they'd loose their jobs - so quite clearly they DID do what they were told.

Cheers for the info geared....

Archived