Housing is like crack cocaine.

Brilliant. Cant wait for our countryside to be concreted over.

There's plenty of 'brownfield' sites, places where buildings have been demolished & nothing has happened since. A lot of council housing was demolished & never replaced in Sheffield. There are empty & derelict buildings that could be demolished for land or converted to housing.

Interesting connation chem1st, it was rising unemployment and the crack cocaine epidemic which destroyed my home city of Highland Park and neighbouiring city Detroit leaving thousands of abandoned houses for crack cocaine users. Maybe Sheffield should learn from these cities and make homes available and affordable for people?

The whole population of earth could stand on the isle of wight. the earth is not full at all.

There's also enough food produced to feed everyone.

Enough food? Yes. there would be if politicians could organise its fair distribution.

But would a (XXXX)ist regime allow its surplus to go to a (YYYY)ist country?

(Please fill the brackets with your choice of political/religious descriptions)

Enough space? Yes of course there is, Just get rid of the otters, deer, eagles, antelopes, pandas, elephants and so on, and use the space they take up.

A theme in science fiction of a few decades back was a child's special treat: the rare privilege of visiting the "Wild Square Mile". a piece of ground preserved from housing and agribusiness, one square mile per country!

Enough food? Yes. there would be if politicians could organise its fair distribution.

But would a (XXXX)ist regime allow its surplus to go to a (YYYY)ist country?

(Please fill the brackets with your choice of political/religious descriptions)

Enough space? Yes of course there is, Just get rid of the otters, deer, eagles, antelopes, pandas, elephants and so on, and use the space they take up.

A theme in science fiction of a few decades back was a child's special treat: the rare privilege of visiting the "Wild Square Mile". a piece of ground preserved from housing and agribusiness, one square mile per country!

yes, I don't deny that there are horrendous inadequacies both in the distribution and organisation of the fair sharing of the resources. A friend of mine subscribes to the Illuminati theories, that people in the third world are kept starving because it suits the Illuminati's methods, and keeps the population down. (Sometimes I wonder if she doesn't have something there!!)

yes, I don't deny that there are horrendous inadequacies both in the distribution and organisation of the fair sharing of the resources. A friend of mine subscribes to the Illuminati theories, that people in the third world are kept starving because it suits the Illuminati's methods, and keeps the population down. (Sometimes I wonder if she doesn't have something there!!)
People in third world countries are kept starving by their own despot leaders ......don't try to make it more complicated than that!

Often heard that quote about the Isle of Wight, but i find it hard to believe !

Brilliant. Cant wait for our countryside to be concreted over.

Oh really, well how about this then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

"In England, "78.6% of urban areas is designated as natural rather than built". Since urban only covers a tenth of the country, this means that the proportion of England's landscape which is built on is...

Scotland and the North-East embrace paving

… 2.27%.

Yes. According to the most detailed analysis ever conducted, almost 98% of England is, in their word, natural".

If house prices should be a multiple of 3.5 income, minus a 10% deposit, the average house should be about £100,000.

Currently it's £242,415.

I wonder how that would look if you took London wages and London houseprices out of the equation...?

Housing and crack cocaine.

One is ruinously expensive, essentially illegal to produce and trade for a fair price, sadistically marketed to children and adults with the intention of getting them hooked and effectively turned into lifetime slaves. It destroys the lifestyles of people who succumb to it, and that of their children, it is effectively a mill stone around one's neck. The other is crack cocaine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2473070/Young-single-priced-buying-home-country-Getting-property-ladder-distant-dream.html#ixzz2iZbpuWsS

Housing today is a very dangerous thing.

Buying a house is one of the worst decisions you could make.

You'd have to be on crack to buy a house.

What do you think?

Is buying a house now at bubble prices a sensible thing to do?

Or is it something that could ruin you?

Will houses remain unaffordable and unsold, or will vendors be forced to reduce their price?

Will the government allow homelessness to increase further still and risk fermenting riots and in due course revolution?

Or will it finally allow people to house themselves, so that supply can increase, and prices fall?

Have a go at people who buy houses. Have a go at Private Landlords who rent to people who can't or don't want to buy. Make your mind up, if buying a house is bad, then the alternative is to rent, but you despise landlords too don't you.

What exactly is the ideal in Chem1st world? Is it a 100% publicly owned housing stock, zero home ownership because it's all state owned, every house the same, a totally bland landscape, nobody has nothing to work for and nothing to live for because they cannot better themselves with better housing?

Archived