How to retrieve money from an ex

I loaned my ex £450.00 a year ago. I did this via bank transfer so I have evidence and I also have evidence of him aknoledging the loan. He said he would pay me back starting August but I have not received any money to date. He has now blocked my number and ignoring my voice messages. I also sent him a letter requesting this money but he still ignored this. Please has anyone got any advice of how I can obtain this money back?

Sometimes it might be better, just to write the money off (even with the whole principle of the money owing to you) and chalk it up to experience.

There is a saying, "If you lend a friend a fiver, and you never see them again, it's probably worth it...!"

You won't have much luck in the small claims court, not with a personal loan like that.

It's hard enough trying to get money out of someone when you've a proper signed legal contract, if all you have is a bank transfer and a couple of text messages then you're stuffed.

its ok to say write it off, and i appreciate you replying, but the way this man is i really dont want him to get away with it. there has to be a way to get it back. I have thought about the small claims court but again he is not guaranteed to pay and i will be losing more money. just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and was successful.

As wiggie advises, the small claims court is the way.

It sound like you already know that you will have a fight on your hands getting the money back via a court, and that it could cost you money, but I don’t see any other options if as you say, you “really don’t want him to get away with it”.

If you want to have a go here is my advice:

Send a letter to the person who owes the money via recorded delivery, explaining that you will commence proceedings in the county court if payment has not been received within 14 days from the date of your letter. Keep a photo-copy of all the communications you send. Stipulate that all communications between you must now be in writing.

yes he owns his own house, he has a motorbike (this is what the loan was for) but other than that nothing. He does have a job. I loaned him the money for a motorbike so he could get a job and sort his life out and now i need to sort my life out and cannot contact him. I have sent him a letter already but he has ignored this. I was advised by the police that to take someone to court, you dont even need evidence and as long as i can convince the judge that it was a loan that this is enough. But has anyone done this and won?

Sometimes it might be better, just to write the money off (even with the whole principle of the money owing to you) and chalk it up to experience.

There is a saying, "If you lend a friend a fiver, and you never see them again, it's probably worth it...!"

This seems like good advice. If you can manage without the money put it past you and move on with your life. All the stress of the situation cant be good for your health. If you do need the money then some solicitors offer a free 20 minutes consultation.

Good luck to you :)

Just write it off as a bad experience like I did. A few years ago I loaned my ex husband the deposit for a flat of £650 just so he would leave quicker after we split as he said he couldn't afford it (last of big spenders and always tight with money he claimed poverty:rolleyes:) I tried to get it back but hit a brick wall every time. It wasn't worth all the stress...He took out a loan against the mortgage on our property, the house is now in my name and I received back the PPI on it so it has more than made up for all the money he had out of me throughout our marriage, so you see, what goes around comes around:hihi:

Archived