Madeleine McCann investigation

For school trips, scout and guide trips, youth club trips and so on it's more a matter of the governing bodies' regulations, child welfare regulations, and meeting the insurance requirements.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 13:58 ----------

Surely the Scouts have official, standardised regulations and requirements that govern residential trips, especially for the youngest children? Anarchic can't play well with the insurance and child welfare bods at head office.

It basically boils down to boys and girls need seperate changing areas, (but can sleep in the same tent) and you have to be able to run the camp appropriately. Some adults have indoors only permits - others can run a full expedition in another country in a field where you dig your own latrines and have to filter water from a river yourself.

Thats about it really. Theres no tick list except what you make yourself...

It basically boils down to boys and girls need seperate changing areas, (but can sleep in the same tent) and you have to be able to run the camp appropriately. Some adults have indoors only permits - others can run a full expedition in another country in a field where you dig your own latrines and have to filter water from a river yourself.

But you don't take 3 year old and one year old scouts into fairly densely packed urban zones where there are multiple entry/exit points (that within yards lead to roads) to sleeping areas that you can't surveil, and then sit a hundred yards away in the dark getting drunk.

Don't misunderstand I'm not a McCann basher but clearly all the families that night made a terrible mistake, and one family in particular has suffered immensely for it. I hope one day they find peace but I hope that millions of other families have learned from their mistake too.

A quick Google reveals that the Scout Association is admirably thorough about making available their 'residential experience' resources as downloadable pdf files. Some individual beaver colonies (great name!) have their own helpful online information about specific residential activities.

So, Andy1976, and any other parent concerned about including the very youngest members of the scouting world in overnight trips, can reassure themselves about the likelihood of any possible Lord of the Flies role playing... Be prepared, eh? ;)

I don't want to be one of those tin foil hat types, but when you find out that the McCann's just happen to be Freemasons it makes the whole thing seem really murky. :suspect:

I have to say that this pleases me. In a world that seems to have become overly sanitised and control taken away from the people who in some cases (not all) understand the risks involved better than others, that you are still allowed freedom. And I presume that with this freedom comes accountability? I.e. it's all on your head, so you will always take the appropriate risks and controls. Pretty much how it should be. People in control taking responsibility for their actions with appropriate levels of support from their organisation.

I'd happily send my little-un away under those circumstances if she's interested when she's older :thumbsup:

I have to say that this pleases me. In a world that seems to have become overly sanitised and control taken away from the people who in some cases (not all) understand the risks involved better than others, that you are still allowed freedom. And I presume that with this freedom comes accountability? I.e. it's all on your head, so you will always take the appropriate risks and controls. Pretty much how it should be. People in control taking responsibility for their actions with appropriate levels of support from their organisation.

I'd happily send my little-un away under those circumstances if she's interested when she's older :thumbsup:

Correct. It is incumbent upon the leader to Risk assess any activity and make adequate provisions to mitigate realistic risk.

I agree.

I don't have any involvement with children's groups such as scouts, but when I worked I was involved in the preparation and evaluation of Risk Assessments for various aspects of construction. Although check lists have their place, it is critically important that you don't just go through the motions of putting ticks in boxes. What's important is to keep your brain in gear and to actively challenge the thought processes as they impact on safety.

It was a bugbear of mine that some Engineers would expect to be given checklists, instead of thinking through the process an judging each job on its merits.

After all of these years we are still no nearer knowing what happened here and I'm curious to what peoples gut instinct is.

Personally I'm drawn towards the dogs in the apartment that smell death and given no record of anyone else dying in there exists it points towards her dying in the apartment.However I can't for the life of me explain how the body could have been disposed of so quickly and why none of their friends has come out with the truth so I'm probably 60-40 she died accidentally in the apartment.

After all of these years we are still no nearer knowing what happened here and I'm curious to what peoples gut instinct is.

Personally I'm drawn towards the dogs in the apartment that smell death and given no record of anyone else dying in there exists it points towards her dying in the apartment.However I can't for the life of me explain how the body could have been disposed of so quickly and why none of their friends has come out with the truth so I'm probably 60-40 she died accidentally in the apartment.

Everyone else would have tough questions to answer but I suppose when you're a Freemason at their level you can just brazen it out and be untouchable.

Everyone else would have tough questions to answer but I suppose when you're a Freemason at their level you can just brazen it out and be untouchable.

There's a program on next week,Maddie 10 years on,did we have a Ben 10 years on?something's not right.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 05:59 ----------

There's a program on next week,Maddie 10 years on,did we have a Ben 10 years on?something's not right.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39757287

She says she's now returned to work......after 10 years.