Summit Watches information please.

bullerboY

Hi Kidory,Where was the wood yard that caught fire on Nursery St?

It was by the side of Lawrences.There was just a shell of the building left there and we played cricket there.I do not know if it was a wood yard because there was a wood yard beside the place where we played and another opposite on Nursery lane.

They were not bombed...
Yes, looking at more directories it seems that Nos. 30 to 40 Nursery Street were demolished between 1924 and 1936, as the 1937 directory doesn’t show them.
...The mortuary was behind, and part of the coroners court and I believe the big wooden doors that were the entrance, could still be there.This entrance was on Wicker lane and around the corner from the mortuary was nursery lane which housed a little mesters workshop and then the OXO building which brought you back onto joiner street and the entrance to the refreshment houses where I went many times to get a meal....
Here is an aerial view of the block, with Summit House indicated (red arrow) and a street-level view added showing the corner of Wicker Lane and Nursery Lane.

It would seem that Summit House was built around 1960; this would explain the directory entries and the fact that Kidorry doesn’t remember the building. As the 1965 directory shows only Isaacs and another wholesale jewellers there, perhaps the two companies were associated, with Summit House being purpose-built for them. In this case Pinders would have presumably acquired the freehold when they bought Isaacs, and the building eventually came into the ownership/occupation of the "New Testament Church of God".

...it was next to the Court House - wasn't that known as the Juvenile Court in the 1950's?....
I also seem to remember the Juvenile Court being there in the 1950s (not that I ever had any occasion to go there....;)) but I can’t find any mention of it in directories.

It was the juvenile court we used to pass it in the fifties on our way to Corporation St baths also the morgue but i seem to remember Summit house was there then.

Yes I agree with you because I seem to remember it being there all the time I was living in the wicker.

Yes Hilsboro I think your right it does look 20s-30s style and maybe i t was the British Restaurant building during and just after the war.Isaacs may have used it as a warehouse and distribution depot in the fifties.It would be very interesting to know more on the isaacs,i wonder if they come from Kunzelsau ahahah!

It would be very interesting to know more on the isaacs,i wonder if they come from Kunzelsau ahahah!
Yes I wonder! The census returns give the Isaacs' place of birth variously as Poland or Russia, the most specific entry reading "Kishinev, Russia" (now Chișinău in in Moldova, though the Russian Empire included Poland and "Moldavia").

Have you seen this courtesy of Sheffield Indexers:

Isaacs, Julius (, Watchmakers' Material Dealer (J.I. & Co.)).

Residing at h. 303 Abbeydale Road, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Isaacs, Julius (, watch makers' material dealer (J. I. & Co.)).

Residing at h. 303 Abbeydale Road, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911

ISAACS, Julius (~, Jeweller).

Residing at h.15 Montgomery Road, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory

Isaacs, J (, dealers in watch makers' tools & materials( & Co.)).

Residing at 16 York Street, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.