Summit Watches information please.

bullerboY

Have you seen this courtesy of Sheffield Indexers:

Isaacs, Julius (, Watchmakers' Material Dealer (J.I. & Co.)).

Residing at h. 303 Abbeydale Road, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Isaacs, Julius (, watch makers' material dealer (J. I. & Co.)).

Residing at h. 303 Abbeydale Road, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911

ISAACS, Julius (~, Jeweller).

Residing at h.15 Montgomery Road, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory

Isaacs, J (, dealers in watch makers' tools & materials( & Co.)).

Residing at 16 York Street, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

Nice piece of information thanks.I wonder where the Isaacs are buried would it be in Ecclesall Jewish cemetery ?

I guess I would have been about twelve or thirteen or so and the first brand name of watch I ever heard of or saw was a 'Kelton' wrist watch. A boy at school (Albert Vernon) bought one with his paper route money and I bought it off him sometime later with my paper route pay for about 30bob (supposedly half price). I don't think it lasted too long because I was always messing with it.

Nice piece of information thanks. I wonder where the Isaacs are buried would it be in Ecclesall Jewish cemetery?
Julius Isaacs was still at 15 Montgomery Road in 1942, but by the time of the 1954 directory he had apparently left Sheffield. In fact he and his wife disappear from public records; I can't find a death entry etc. This makes me think that they might have emigrated when they retired (by 1954 they would have been well into their 70s). Meanwhile, by 1954 Teddy had moved from Bents Road around the corner to a large detached house at 276 Ecclesall Road South (must have been doing well!) where he remained until at least 1972. Teddy had evidently married Rosemary Hurwitz in 1942 and they had two daughters, Jill and Elizabeth.
I guess I would have been about twelve or thirteen or so and the first brand name of watch I ever heard of or saw was a 'Kelton' wrist watch ... I don't think it lasted too long because I was always messing with it.
Sounds like me with my 1970s Roamer but it lasted quite a long time despite my ham-fisted attempts at replacing batteries (I kept losing the screws)..:P.Kelton, like Roamer, was a good Swiss make.

Julius Isaacs was still at 15 Montgomery Road in 1942, but by the time of the 1954 directory he had apparently left Sheffield. In fact he and his wife disappear from public records; I can't find a death entry etc. This makes me think that they might have emigrated when they retired (by 1954 they would have been well into their 70s). Meanwhile, by 1954 Teddy had moved from Bents Road around the corner to a large detached house at 276 Ecclesall Road South (must have been doing well!) where he remained until at least 1972. Teddy had evidently married Rosemary Hurwitz in 1942 and they had two daughters, Jill and Elizabeth.Sounds like me with my 1970s Roamer but it lasted quite a long time despite my ham-fisted attempts at replacing batteries (I kept losing the screws)..:P.Kelton, like Roamer, was a good Swiss make.
Thanks Phil.

Guys

Just done a bit of digging on 192.com , it would appear that an Albert Edward Isaacs and his wife Rosemary where living in Sheffield until 2002, they then moved to Edgeware London , and were registered as late as 2007.

Also the following link might be of interest:

http://www.esra-magazine.com/blog/post/edward-&-rosemary-isaac-fund-helping-esra-

Seems as though they were benefactors as well.

Guys

Just done a bit of digging on 192.com , it would appear that an Albert Edward Isaacs and his wife Rosemary where living in Sheffield until 2002, they then moved to Edgeware London , and were registered as late as 2007.

Also the following link might be of interest:

http://www.esra-magazine.com/blog/post/edward-&-rosemary-isaac-fund-helping-esra-

Seems as though they were benefactors as well.

Very interesting.It is amazing they have never been in the press before.

Yes - well done bendus2.! It just shows what can be found via the Internet, and how interesting these threads can become!.:). I would love to know what became of Julius and Tillie - maybe this calls for some more keyboard-bashing!

Does anyone have any information on the history of Summit Watches,I understand these were made at Summit House on Nursery St and were supplied to the forces in ww2.Better still anyone got one to sell? Did anyone work there?

My first job on leaving school was as an apprentice watchmaker at Summit House on Nursery Street. Norman Churchill was the main watchmaker who taught me a lot about the trade. I can tell you that no watches were made at Summit house, however, they were assembled there because that was one of my jobs. Mr Booles was the chief buyer and was often dispatched to Switzerland to buy watch movements. These arrived in boxes of 100 or so and I had the job of fitting each one into a watch case. Sometimes solid gold, but more often cheaper metal.

The cheaper movements were given a new name (Leda) and the more expensive ones, Summit. That was another of my jobs, removing whatever name was printed on the dial and then printing either Summit or Leda. the degree of precision was astounding really to say it was all hand done.

We ran a trade counter where most of the jewellers in Sheffield came in to buy watch parts. I was often dispatched on deliveries too which made a change. Laycocks on Spital Hill was a regular.

It was quite interesting as a place to work though the pay was abysmal. Julius Isaacs was always decent to me and he took a keen interest in everything that happened in that workshop. I left before they were taken over and moved down behind the Moor.

Hi Afilsdesigne - it's interesting to have these recollections of Summit House. In my researches I had found a reference to a man with the rather splendid name of Alec Tuxford Bools [1914-1998]. This was in the journal of the British Horological Institute, where in an obituary he is described as Sales Manager of Julius Isaacs. My grandfather, John Arthur Whittles, was a member of this institute despite not being a professional watchmaker. I well remember Mr Laycock on Spital Hill; he was a friend of my grandad.