Summit Watches information please.

bullerboY

• 10 months later...
Yes thats a summit but ime after a round one like they supplied to the forces.Thanks for your interest and help.

Hello all.

I just purchaced a SUMMIT watch from an 'antiques' fair and came online to do some research. I was delighted to find this forum thread and all the info you guys have been sharing, really interesting. I wonder what Isaccs would think of all this chat about him

Anyway here is the photo of the watch I just bought for myself, yH5BwHw.jpg?1 is it like the one you were looking for?

Hi Ulverston - welcome to the Forum!.:) You have a very nice-looking watch. It is very similar to my uncle's former Summit watch which my my brother now has - it still keeps good time. Yes, it would be interesting to know what the Isaacs family would think of all this chat about them! They were clearly good business people. I just did a little more web searching - according to this page Tillie died in 1942.

Good Morning from Hot and Sunny Malaysia to Hilsborough and Ullverston - know both places well

Re Summit and Julius Issacs. From my earlier posts I said that my father and Tedy Isaacs were good friends both private and business. I thought he was my tahers age, but Hillsboruoghs poat clears that up. Teddy was born 1910 and my father 1917.

Re the picture of the watch, looks very similar to one I hade 1957 to 1965 - only diference is that when I wqas 21 Teddy put a 9ct gold expanding bracelet on it FOC. My previous Summmit watch was from 1951 to 1957. Both very good timekeepers and never required any repairs. I think the only things dome to them was a new glass when the previous one was badly scratched.

Certainly they were very good and astute busines people. Unless my 74 year old memory is failing me I seem to remember that they had a company (different name) in the Birmingham area

Teddy's father did a lot of business in a back office with fellow Jewish business people. Always speaking with them in Yiddish and pulling bundles of bank notes out of a large safe.

There was another guy in then shop on Nursery Street, tall guy, dark hair and dark moustach - I seem to remember he was akways refered toi as Mr Stevenson (or Stephenson) and could have been maried to Teddy's sister

Best Regards - Victor

Hi victormh - nice to have your further input. After a quick look at online resources I can't find a Stephenson link. Teddy had three sisters - the oldest, Zara, married a solicitor, Harry Glass in 1939 and Adelaide married Robert Halle in 1941. The youngest, Phyllis, died in 1928 aged only 23.

I like the idea of business people in the back office speaking Yiddish and handling bundles of banknotes!.:P

Hi Ulverston - welcome to the Forum!.:) You have a very nice-looking watch. It is very similar to my uncle's former Summit watch which my my brother now has - it still keeps good time. Yes, it would be interesting to know what the Isaacs family would think of all this chat about them! They were clearly good business people. I just did a little more web searching - according to this page Tillie died in 1942.

hi hillsbro

I to own a summit watch purchased by parents for my 21st birthday in 1960 and still ticking the only thing it has had was a excaliber expanding strap replacement that makes it 54 years old

Hi carbrook lad - they were clearly good-quality watches (and they can't have been cheap) but it's great that your Summit watch is still going strong. My brother's watch is about as old as yours and likewise had had a new bracelet (and a clean & overhaul, c. 1980) and the movement seems as good as new. I'm almost tempted to bid for this one on eBay!