Super insulate every home: Would this really reduce energy costs ?

Our house which is 6 years old doesn't have air vents.

BUT when we had a gas fire/boiler installed in the front room of our 1965 bungalow, which didn't have air vents, the installer drilled a 6 inch wide hole in the wall to let in the most terrible draught

I think if the controls were simplified then heating would cost a large amount less than they currently do.

If you could have like an iPad like device and use that to click a radiator on or off in a specific room, you could just use the radiators you need as you need them. Who really has time to go around turning every single radiator on and off in their home all day, if you could just do it from one place with a tap on a screen, it would be much easuer.

I'm sure that exists in some way but, you know...probably not widely used.

But surely you would still need to buy energy of some sort, cos lets face it, you can't rely on sunshine!

Someone I know from work has solar panels galore plus a wind thingee at the bottom of his garden. Combined since he had them installed he's never had a bill for services and he has one of those things you bury in your garden under the lawn (no not the mother in law), it provides heating etc....

all this is fine if you own your own house, however as I live in flats with no cavity walls and windows in living room running full length of house, its impossible to insulate, and getting council to actually improve anything is impossible, so looks like ee are going to be in fuel poverty soon!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think if the controls were simplified then heating would cost a large amount less than they currently do.

If you could have like an iPad like device and use that to click a radiator on or off in a specific room, you could just use the radiators you need as you need them. Who really has time to go around turning every single radiator on and off in their home all day, if you could just do it from one place with a tap on a screen, it would be much easuer.

I'm sure that exists in some way but, you know...probably not widely used.

Thermostatic radiator valves are common these days, and I'm not sure turning radiators on or off during the day is a good solution anyway, they take time to heat up a room, so you'd have to plan to use a room 30 minutes to an hour in advance.

Archived