Scopodittle question.

colly0410

Been talking about scopodittles (evesdropers must have thought we were mad) at work & one bloke says they're a sort of spider that darts around very fast, not sure if I was being had...Another thing Mam said, when she asked why I'd done something daft, I'd say "so & so did the same thing" she'd say "if so & so put their head in a gas oven would you?" I'd stand there & look gormless...

Mum used scopodittle in the 1950,s that's when Xmas illuminations were called fairy lights or lillilows.

I thought that was an expression used by parents with their very young kids for lights. I used to use it in the late 60s/ early 70s. Fairy lights was and is still widely used in our family.

My mum always used to say someone was "running round like a skoppydiddle" when they were rushing round trying to get things done. I 've used the expression all my life but until I discovered this thread I thought I must have imagined it as no-one has ever heard of it. My husband is a Southerner and says I made it up!

Another expression I use (because my mum did) is "there's a queue as long as Norfolk Street" I've always understood this to have originated from the days when people used to go to pay their rent at the council office in Cadman Lane and on a Saturday morning the queue could stretch right around the corner into Norfolk Street. Does anyone remember that?

Golly, I feel OLD now!

Funnily enough ours was always "a face as long as Norfolk Street" meaning someone was miserable or got the monk on (now where did that one come from).:huh:

Another one me mum used was, you've got a face like an eight day clock; but she was from darn Sarf (RIP mum)

I still use the Norfolk Street saying Tessie, even after moving from Sheffield almost 40 years ago. In the old days in Sheffield it was used for everything that was long; a queue, a gas bill etc., the favourite being a queue though, as in.... "I didn't bother waiting, there was a queue as long as Norfolk Street." etc.. I've tried replacing Norfolk Street with long roads in other places I've lived, but it just doesn't sound right !

Archived