How many duvets do you own?

I have to say I've been quite surprised by this thread. I have, and have always had, one duvet. The kid have one duvet. Each, of course. I'm figuring this winter, what with the rise in fuel costs, that they can use sleeping bags and duvets which I guess is like using two. But I just have the one which I sleep on top of in summer and underneath in winter.

Leah-Lacie, my mattress has had it but I can't afford a new one so bought a memory foam mattress topper from poundstretcher. Marvellous thing!

Why the need to replace it? Some medical reason surely?

Quilts are a really good growth space for dust mites and both of us are asthmatic, but buying dust mite proof quilt covers (and replacing them regularly because they only work for a year each at best) and the like is far more expensive than just replacing your quilt twice a year for a really inexpensive thin one.

I also have to apply lots (and lots) of body cream which amasses in the bed linen no matter how well and how often you wash it. By the time I've had a quilt 6 months there's just no way to wash all of the emollient cream out of it.

So add all of that together and spending £10 twice a year is the most simple solution.

I have one duvet which is 15 tog, yes it does get hot in the summer but if the weather is warm then it's warm, you're going to be warm under any tog duvet. That's what I find anyway.

I just cover some of me and straddle the rest of the duvet, though if you sleep with someone else you probably need the next size duvet up from your bed.

I don't know why all people don't get the next size up actually because partners stealing the duvet seems to be a common complaint.

I actually sell duvets and my advice would be to buy 80% or higher goose down filling if you can afford it because it makes a massive difference, and if you spend 8 hours a day in bed...that is a good investment. Though you will be paying maybe £200-300 on average for a decent one that is also boxed depending on the tog and size.

Archived