How much should a BBC DJ earn?

My daughter has recently qualified and started as a freelance Broadcast Journalist at radio stations in the Midlands.

I was gobsmacked to find out she gets paid £80 a shift working long days often with no break, no guarantee of work, no sick/holiday pay etc.

This is after the thousands she's spent on university and a masters (no radio station will look at you without these days) Now I know times are hard and work is hard to come by, she says the competition for work is brutal, and I could accept this much better if the situation was the same across the board but no...Apparently the DJs are a whole different kettle of fish :huh:

She said they are classed as "talent" and a Breakfast host would be earning something like 100k a year :o what's more, they just rock up and leave pretty much after the show, leaving people like my daughter to create the content for the next day's programme!

So...my question is this..how much do you think these DJs should be paid for working a 4 hour day?? :rant:

He said he earned about £500 per show after tax and his co hosts were on £50. I've still got the audio of the last show somewhere.

Perhaps he misunderstood that listeners were tuning in to hear his sage words of wisdom and not those of his co hosts, without him or someone of his ability there would be no show.

My daughter has recently qualified and started as a freelance Broadcast Journalist at radio stations in the Midlands.

I was gobsmacked to find out she gets paid £80 a shift working long days often with no break, no guarantee of work, no sick/holiday pay etc.

This is after the thousands she's spent on university and a masters (no radio station will look at you without these days) Now I know times are hard and work is hard to come by, she says the competition for work is brutal, and I could accept this much better if the situation was the same across the board but no...Apparently the DJs are a whole different kettle of fish :huh:

She said they are classed as "talent" and a Breakfast host would be earning something like 100k a year :o what's more, they just rock up and leave pretty much after the show, leaving people like my daughter to create the content for the next day's programme!

So...my question is this..how much do you think these DJs should be paid for working a 4 hour day?? :rant:

My question to your daughter would be "Why not become a DJ?"

Archived