How much should a BBC DJ earn?

A responsible institution would make the career plan part of the application process-in reality they want to maximise their intake irrespective of the needs of the candidate.In addition the job market is volatile and unpredictable.

Why the hell should they? If a prospective student doesn't have the wherewithal to do a quick job search on their chosen career path before they dedicate themselves to four years of study then maybe university isn't the right place for them.

jb

Why the hell should they? If a prospective student doesn't have the wherewithal to do a quick job search on their chosen career path before they dedicate themselves to four years of study then maybe university isn't the right place for them.

jb

It is called being ethical,based on a recognition that young people can be confused and impulsive.You were clearly very mature and far-sighted at 18,which is quite exceptional.

Where would send these youngsters if university was inappropriate?

It is called being ethical,based on a recognition that young people can be confused and impulsive.You were clearly very mature and far-sighted at 18,which is quite exceptional.

Where would send these youngsters if university was inappropriate?

At 18 I expect them to behave as adults, not children needing their hands held. maybe universities should also offer a full counselling service and psychological profiling to make sure candidates are suitable for the roles they aspire too.

I wouldn't send them anywhere, they're adults so their decision what they do with their lives.

jb

Chris Evans has done alright out of it!

After spending years climbing the career ladder. Wasn't he initially a tea boy at Picadilliy Radio in Manchester?

The degree is now just the foot in the door, it was originally GCSEs or O Levels, then it was A Levels.

After that its up to the students to put in the time and show ambition and commitment before the big bucks come rolling in.

At 18 I expect them to behave as adults, not children needing their hands held. maybe universities should also offer a full counselling service and psychological profiling to make sure candidates are suitable for the roles they aspire too.

I wouldn't send them anywhere, they're adults so their decision what they do with their lives.

jb

At what stage does a child become an adult,and what happens if their development is delayed?Your attitude is simplistic and favours an abdication of responsibility by colleges.

if you knew where you were heading at the age of 18,then you would be frankly rather uninteresting and conservative.Some would even say an 18 year old with a fixed career path was both boring and vulnerable.

At what stage does a child become an adult,and what happens if their development is delayed?Your attitude is simplistic and favours an abdication of responsibility by colleges.

if you knew where you were heading at the age of 18,then you would be frankly rather uninteresting and conservative.Some would even say an 18 year old with a fixed career path was both boring and vulnerable.

At 18 you can:

Vote

Join the armed forces

Drink alcohol

Smoke cigarettes

Have sex

Get a credit card

Get a mortgage

Get married

Go to university

Obtain a driving license...

Yet, according to you , you cannot:

Conduct a five minute job search on the likely salary of a broadcast journalist before committing to a four year course. If such is true then maybe we should be increasing the age at which we permit the above, or maybe, just maybe they should be consulting with their parents and career advisor in college/sixth form before they make such a big decision.

jb

Conduct a five minute job search on the likely salary of a broadcast journalist before committing to a four year course. If such is true then maybe we should be increasing the age at which we permit the above, or maybe, just maybe they should be consulting with their parents and career advisor in college/sixth form before they make such a big decision.

jb

Many 18 year olds would say £400/week is loads-a-money and worth the 4 years investment. It's only once out the other side, with some real experience of how the world works that they'll be worrying about it not being enough.

Our educational system does not produce fully independent, worldly wise and sensible, grown up 18 year olds. The complete focus on academic results leaves little time at school for personal development. I don't know anyone who's been through uni without changes to their personality / outlook on life.

At 18 you can:

Vote

Join the armed forces

Drink alcohol

Smoke cigarettes

Have sex

Get a credit card

Get a mortgage

Get married

Go to university

Obtain a driving license...

jb

You confuse the legal right with the actuality.how many 18 year-olds can obtain a mortgage?

I notice you are beginning to qualify your earlier remarks,which suggests your outburst was reactive rather than considered.many parents are not qualified to guide their kids,and careers advice has been consistently questioned by Ofsted in the last decade.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:14 ----------

Many 18 year olds would say £400/week is loads-a-money and worth the 4 years investment. It's only once out the other side, with some real experience of how the world works that they'll be worrying about it not being enough.

Our educational system does not produce fully independent, worldly wise and sensible, grown up 18 year olds. The complete focus on academic results leaves little time at school for personal development. I don't know anyone who's been through uni without changes to their personality / outlook on life.

This is true,the years at uni are transforming.I suspect JB has missed out on this venture.

You confuse the legal right with the actuality.how many 18 year-olds can obtain a mortgage?

I notice you are beginning to qualify your earlier remarks,which suggests your outburst was reactive rather than considered.many parents are not qualified to guide their kids,and careers advice has been consistently questioned by Ofsted in the last decade.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:14 ----------

This is true,the years at uni are transforming.I suspect JB has missed out on this venture.

Nope, I stand by all my remarks. It is a laughable suggestion that universities should be planning out possible career paths that each course could lead to and tailoring them to each applicant. You clearly haven't thought this through as the sheer number of possibilities is endless* and would lead to nothing other than increased fees and confusion in the mind of the applicant as they receive differing advice from each of the institutions they apply to. Far better for them to decide on a plan before they apply, whether they do this on their own or with help from parents, teachers or careers advisors is really up to them.

If they're not adult enough to make an informed decision then maybe they should be putting off university until such time that they are.

* For example I studied chemistry, this could have led to a multitude of careers in anything from pharmaceutical industry to merchant banking.

jb

Archived