Would Ed Miliband win Labour the next general election

ed miliband won't win the next election for labour, but the party may win it with him as leader

i doubt he will persuade many floating or undecided voters to vote labour, but they may do so anyway - maybe as an anti libdem vote

ukip may end up being the kingmakers - but more by default than by design - they need the oxygen of publicity that an election campaign gives them, but i think their supporters may be spread too thinly to enable them to win many seats - a bit like the libdems

but the fact that, if they can maintain their level of support, they will take more votes from the conservative party than the labour party, labour may well end up being the largest single party in the next house of commons - in spite of, and not because of, ed miliband

dont be too sure about that....they may not like Ed, but they sure as hell dont like how Cameron is looking after his cronies.....its all to play for

Milibands personal approval rating is the lowest of the 3 top party leaders and only 45% of the Labour party membership are happy with him. That's pretty damning and if this was the Tory party, there would be moves afoot to displace him.

I would consider voting Labour if someone like Frank Field became leader, with a front bench of likeminded people.

Frank has a lot of respect from all parties. Instead of blaming the Tories for the rise in food banks he knows that they're being heavily misused (he writes for my local paper, and that was his column last month).

It's unfortunate that so much emphasis is placed on a leader rather than, y'know, old fashioned things like policies.

But since the main parties are getting harder to tell apart (in deed if not in word), maybe it's inevitable.

That sums it up very well yet again. I'm no fan of Miliband, but who would be a better leader out of the current Labour front bench?

Ed Balls?

Liam Byrne?

Rachel Reeves?

Andy Burnham?

Not the most inspiring list in the world is it?

That sums it up very well yet again. I'm no fan of Miliband, but who would be a better leader out of the current Labour front bench?

Ed Balls?

Liam Byrne?

Rachel Reeves?

Andy Burnham?

It would be enhanced if Yvette Cooper was listed,along with Douglas Alexander and the Eagles.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 11:33 ----------

Frank has a lot of respect from all parties. Instead of blaming the Tories for the rise in food banks he knows that they're being heavily misused (he writes for my local paper, and that was his column last month).

This makes little sense-I hope Mr Ifield is a little clearer in his column.

Ed Balls?

Liam Byrne?

Rachel Reeves?

Andy Burnham?

Its a shame Straw is retiring from politics. Alistair Darling always seemed to have his head screwed on and even Alan Johnson seems like a good politician.

Its a shame Straw is retiring from politics. Alistair Darling always seemed to have his head screwed on and even Alan Johnson seems like a good politician.

I am afraid Jack Straw is unsuited to political life-he admitted this in a recent BBC interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036w394

He has admitted to suffering depression,not his fault,but incompatible with political life.

I am afraid Jack Straw is unsuited to political life-he admitted this in a recent BBC interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036w394

He has admitted to suffering depression,not his fault,but incompatible with political life.

Winston Churchill's "black dog" didn't prevent him having the most amazing political career did it?

Winston Churchill's "black dog" didn't prevent him having the most amazing political career did it?

If you examine his career he was considered a(political) failure before 1940-he did well during the war but lost the 1945 election in a Labour landslide.Thats the facts.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 11:57 ----------

And an extract from Wiki states

After the War, Churchill served as Chancellor of the Exchequer in the Conservative (Baldwin) government of 1924–29, controversially returning the pound sterling in 1925 to the gold standard at its pre-war parity, a move widely seen as creating deflationary pressure on the UK economy. Also controversial was his opposition to increased home rule for India and his resistance to the 1936 abdication of Edward VIII.

Out of office and politically "in the wilderness" during the 1930s, Churchill took the lead in warning about Nazi Germany and in campaigning for rearmament. On the outbreak of the Second World War, he was again appointed First Lord of the Admiralty. Following the resignation of Neville Chamberlain on 10 May 1940, Churchill became Prime Minister.

If you examine his career he was considered a(political) failure before 1940-he did well during the war but lost the 1945 election in a Labour landslide.Thats the facts.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 11:57 ----------

And an extract from Wiki states

After the War, Churchill served as Chancellor of the Exchequer in the Conservative (Baldwin) government of 1924–29, controversially returning the pound sterling in 1925 to the gold standard at its pre-war parity, a move widely seen as creating deflationary pressure on the UK economy. Also controversial was his opposition to increased home rule for India and his resistance to the 1936 abdication of Edward VIII.

Out of office and politically "in the wilderness" during the 1930s, Churchill took the lead in warning about Nazi Germany and in campaigning for rearmament. On the outbreak of the Second World War, he was again appointed First Lord of the Admiralty. Following the resignation of Neville Chamberlain on 10 May 1940, Churchill became Prime Minister.

I'm sure you are not trying to assassinate the memory of what is popularly considered our greatest political leader. None of the above changes the fact that Churchill managed to deal with his depression while in public office and at probably the most stressful time in our nations history.

Archived