Would Ed Miliband win Labour the next general election

I don't see it that way at all, I think most of the BBC contributors tend to be of the left, going back to Brian Redhead the BBC4 Today programme, whilst generally excellent seems to me to have a slight left leaning stance.

Any BBC comedy program with political content parodies the right incessantly, although I must admit Milliband is too tempting to ignore, his Wallace impersonation is better that Rory Bremners.

That's because the current government is rightwing and moving towards dictatorship so topical shows parody the government of the day and that’s true of all media channels including the independent ones. When the Left was in No.10 (I say left because people on here have called the Left tories before) the same TV shows used to lay into that government too. So in fact, what you are saying are that TV shows and the general media, which may influence public opinion, can kick the Left but treat they must Right as saints no matter how bad they are.

So, your reasoning is that it is OK for Labour to go into coalition with Clegg but not the Tories?

Cameron didn't win the 2010 election but governs through coalition and that's wrong, but if Milliband doesn't win the 2015 election but governs through coalition that's right?

Please explain your reasoning in this matter. - whoops, didn't edit that very well!

i've missed you!

i don't think tinfoilhat was stating his belief i think he was parodying mecky's viewpoint

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 12:02 ----------

I don't see it that way at all, I think most of the BBC contributors tend to be of the left, going back to Brian Redhead the BBC4 Today programme, whilst generally excellent seems to me to have a slight left leaning stance.

Any BBC comedy program with political content parodies the right incessantly, although I must admit Milliband is too tempting to ignore, his Wallace impersonation is better that Rory Bremners.

most "satire" programmes tend to satire the government of the day and/or the leading political figures - the problem for today's satirists is that there aren't the characters and personalities around that there used to be in the sixties, seventies and early eighties

most labour lib dem and conservative front bench mp's are interchangeable

that's why i like ukip - although not their policies - they are at least a bit more individualistic - for the moment

I must make a comment regarding the "dictatorship" of Cameron.

I have lived under a dictatorship, for over 25years, I was based in Myanmar (Burma) I think you should really revise your opinion, you clearly have no concept of dictatorship.

Whilst I have been back in Sheffield I see no tanks on the streets, no one has been shot by the Police for demonstrating, students are allowed to go the school, there are no gulags or internment camps. There is a free press and other media. Forums such as this exist and you can express yourself as you see fit.

We are lucky, we definitely do not live in a dictatorship and there is no sign at all that we are heading that way.

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 12:55 ----------

So, your reasoning is that it is OK for Labour to go into coalition with Clegg but not the Tories?

Cameron didn't win the 2010 election but governs through coalition and that's wrong, but if Milliband doesn't win the 2015 election but governs through coalition that's right?

Please explain your reasoning in this matter. - whoops, didn't edit that very well!

i've missed you!

i don't think tinfoilhat was stating his belief i think he was parodying mecky's viewpoint

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 12:02 ----------

most "satire" programmes tend to satire the government of the day and/or the leading political figures - the problem for today's satirists is that there aren't the characters and personalities around that there used to be in the sixties, seventies and early eighties

most labour lib dem and conservative front bench mp's are interchangeable

that's why i like ukip - although not their policies - they are at least a bit more individualistic - for the moment

Sorry didn't spot the humour, thnks for the correction.

If you think the BBC is left-wing just watch their coverage of royal events. Republican views aren't even mentioned.

Indeed....and the fact that during the miners strike the BBC altered the footage to show the miners charging at the police when in reality it was the police charging at the miners. This to give the impression that miners were responsible for starting violent scenes, when in fact it was the police that had instigated the violence.

The protest against the cuts in Manchester where the Tories held this years conference barely got a mention on the BBC in spite of the fact that 50,000 - 60,000 people attended the demo.

Indeed....and the fact that during the miners strike the BBC altered the footage to show the miners charging at the police when in reality it was the police charging at the miners. This to give the impression that miners were responsible for starting violent scenes, when in fact it was the police that had instigated the violence.

The protest against the cuts in Manchester where the Tories held this years conference barely got a mention on the BBC in spite of the fact that 50,000 - 60,000 people attended the demo.

The BBC is a suck-up outfit,as they get rights to screen all the royal events including Ascot and Wimbledon.and they stitched up the lads at Orgreave.

Indeed....and the fact that during the miners strike the BBC altered the footage to show the miners charging at the police when in reality it was the police charging at the miners.

That's a great trick if you can pull it off. Presumably they had trees and things on wheels which they pushed along to make it look as though the background was going in opposite direction as well.

Archived