Buy shares or put extra to my mortgage?

Neither's gold. He would be better off investing in a pointy stick.

jb

I'm not going to need a pointy stick, IN FIJI.

You stay holed up in your house waiting for the invasion like sitting ducks.

But me, I'll have bought my ticket on the only chopper out of the vicinity.

This is going to be you

And this is going to be me.

It's not usually a good idea to buy shares in the company that you work for; if they go bust, you lose your job and your investment. Happened to a son of mine, part of whose pay was in shares!

This is a sharesave though - you put money away into a 'pot' which will be administered by a building society. At the end of the term (36 or 60 months), you buy the shares at the price that the shares were at the start of the scheme - usually the price is discounted too. If the firm goes bust or is going bust, you simply draw your money out of the scheme. If the firm's shares double in price, you buy the shares [and sell them at a profit]. If that profit is more than about £10,600 - you'll pay capital gains tax on the bit above the threshold.

• 1 month later...
Buying shares is risky, especially in the present economic climate.

There is no "economic climate", its just a gamble, whether that is in 2014 or 1980. I cashed some shares in Interserve a few months ago, they trebled in around 5 years; but I also have shares in RBS :mad:

I havnt a clue if they are worth anything at all.

Archived